S-04 flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsaacM

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'd brewed a batch of Belgian saison with imperial rustic yeast a bit ago and it was awesome. My problem is that since then, I keep getting those witbier type flavors in my batches. Did an AG batch of northern brewer nut brown ale, which came with S-04 yeast, and later did an American amber which came with S-04. Both had that witbier spice to them. Does S-04 have those Belgian spicy notes (almost like a chamomile or coriander type flavor)? I sanitize everything really well-I'm a bit of a freak about it-and I'm about 15 batches into my brewing hobby without other issues to speak of. Probably just going to go back to an Imperial/Wyeast/S-05 if this is normal, but would love your thoughts. I've stocked you guys on here for a few years, but this is my first post. TIA

S-04 has a fruity flavor...I've never heard of a chamomile type flavor.

I'm at a loss as to what could be imparting that spiciness...the only thing that comes to mind is if you used Rye which has a spicy flavor...I'm sure someone else will chime in and be more helpful than myself.

I had a black pepper taste once with English yeast (not US-04) that only appeared in some bottles of the batch. I have no idea where it come from but the bottles that didn't taste like black pepper tasted hoppy (big dry hop) and the ones with the black pepper taste didn't taste hoppy. Confused the hell out of me.

I've used a lot of S04 and "spicy" isn't a character I'd apply, never mind "chamomile".
Not sure what's going on unless there's a living culture of that Rustic yeast in your system somewhere...

Cheers!

I have used S-04 many times and never got that flavour. You associate the flavours with Witbier, so I think day_trippr might be on to something.

Somewhere, somehow, something happened in the process and those flavours were carried over to your next batches. B56 Rustic is Wyeast 3726, the same strain, so no bugs there.

Thanks so much for the info everyone. I'm going to go ahead and chalk this one up to, "I must've really screwed something up or I'm having a stroke and can't smell right." Although the beers aren't typical, they're pretty tasty and unique. Sometimes you get a happy accident. Next batch I'll be trying something around S05. Again-thanks for weighing in.

Back