S-04 and Sour Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc8015

Reaction score
I brewed a Pyramid Snow Cap clone from extract. I got the kit from Austin Homebrew and used S-04. I pitched at around 70 degrees and fermented at about the same temp and got some serious blow off from during the first 24 hours of fermentation.

I bottled after 17 days in primary and let the bottles condition for about 11 weeks at room temp before they went in the cooler. I am drinking one now and while it is an exceptionally drinkable beer, I can't help but notice that there is a slightly sour flavor to the beer. It does not taste like it was contaminated, again...very drinkable. Just a bit of a tart/sour aftertaste. Could this be from the S-04 fermenting a bit too warm?

Yes, it is from the 04. Many like it....I can't stand it. Some claim that fermenting warm causes this. I've fermented the crap from the low 60s to the low 70s and I can still taste the "04 Twang". I've tried to love this yeast, but I've given up on it.

Yes, it is from the 04. Many like it....I can't stand it. Some claim that fermenting warm causes this. I've fermented the crap from the low 60s to the low 70s and I can still taste the "04 Twang". I've tried to love this yeast, but I've given up on it.

I agree with Hammy and don't like 04 either. I had a couple of beers that I could not stand from that yeast and finally dumped. I am not much of a fan of 05 either...

I agree with Hammy and don't like 04 either. I had a couple of beers that I could not stand from that yeast and finally dumped. I am not much of a fan of 05 either...

Well, I simply love 05 and probably use it on 75% of my brews. Just goes to show, we all have different tastes.

One of my favorite IPA's is made with S-04, I found that the flavor is awesome if you can keep it down into the 58F range.

This is a yeast I advise my friends to stay away from if you cannot control the temperature.

Is this something that is typical of British style yeasts or is it just the S-04 that does that?

For me, I really don't get it with anything else. For dry yeast, I'd try Nottingham. My favorite liquid English yeast though is WLP002.

I've noticed the s-04 twang as well. I found it to be a bit annoying in the esb I brewed, but I love it in my hopbursted citra pale. I also love how fast it finishes and clears but s-05 remains my go to yeast.

That taste is present in my S-04 brown ale (fermented mid/upper 60s). It's fading after 8 weeks in bottle. Not present in the Scotch Ale (fermented low 60s)

Back