Rye malt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
Brewing a Black rye ipa tomorrow and plan on doing some water adjustments. Plugging my ingredients into brun water. Is rye malt considered base, crystal or roast malt??

I'd treat it as base malt, unless you got caramel rye or chocolate rye of course.

By the way I don't recommend caramel/crystal rye. It has a very distinct anise or burnt sugar flavor. I have 2 kegs of a black rye saison I'm hoping will lose that flavor with more time. A touch might work in a Belgian dubbel.

Yet more confirmation, any rye I have ever used that was a dark(er) roast had an unpleasant, nastiness. Light roasted rye is spicy and complex enough. Of course, maybe it was the brewing technique... though I did use very little. Later, I tried to cover it up with dry hopping and things just got worse.

From experience, about 20% rye in a light (no roasted or crystal malts) saison caused by my pH to be high by 0.2-0.3 compared to my measurements and Bru'n Water estimates. For that calc, I assumed the rye as 2L base malt.

I don't have the time to invest on an experiment with rye pH, but I will keep an eye on it in future brews with an appreciable amount of rye to make better estimates in the future.

Back