rye ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talljetsfan

Reaction score
I want to do an extract ipa with rye flavor, here is what I've come up with so far.
Thoughts, comments, suggestions are all invited and welcome!
Thanks!

7.0 Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract info 34 1 ~
1.0 Extra Light Dry Extract info 44 3 ~
1.0 Crystal 75L info 34 75 ~
0.8 Briess 2 Row Malt info 34 2 ~
0.8 Weyermann Rye info 34 3 ~
0.4 Flaked Rye info

boil 60 mins 1.0 Summit info pellet 18.0
boil 30 mins 0.5 Warrior info pellet 15.0
boil 15 mins 0.5 Cascade info pellet 5.5
boil 1 min 1.0 Willamette

I think that's a really interesting hop schedule. I usually can't get into the ryes, maybe this would be more palatable since like you said it's more of an IPA. Have you considered dry-hopping it? What kind of yeast are you planning to use?

I made essentially the Denny's Wry Smile. I used the Northern Brewers AG kit recipe but bought the ingredients separately. It turned out great!

i don't know if you will get too much noticeable rye flavor with the amounts you have

20% is pretty common amount in a lot of the rye ipa recipes on here - i've gone as much as 30% before

may want to bump up the late hop additions as well 1.5oz won't give you too much flavor/aroma

What size batch is this for? What are your targets for OG, FG and IBU? And I also think you have too little rye especially if you are just seeping them.

mxpx5678 said:
Yeah hops are a little light for an ipa that is going to be more in the apa range.

I'm going to tag this thread. Ipa + rye is all I can think about after the product Sierra Nevada put out this year.

I'm going to tag this thread. Ipa + rye is all I can think about after the product Sierra Nevada put out this year.

Yeah their Ruthless Rye is really good, it got me wanting to do a rye ipa. I took an existing recipe that I have used before which is a clone of mirror pond and subbed in 20% of the 2-row for rye malt. I am curious how it is going to turn out. I also upped the hops quite a bit I am brewing it up on the 19th, if it turns out I will report back with the recipe.:tank:

Yeah their Ruthless Rye is really good, it got me wanting to do a rye ipa. I took an existing recipe that I have used before which is a clone of mirror pond and subbed in 20% of the 2-row for rye malt. I am curious how it is going to turn out. I also upped the hops quite a bit I am brewing it up on the 19th, if it turns out I will report back with the recipe.:tank:

Back