Rye beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Ring

Reaction score
I just bottled a Rye beer kit that my wife bought me. Does anyone know what it is supposed to taste like? At bottling time, it tastes like a beer version of "Mouton Cadet". Basically, dry as hell, or like sand in a bottle. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that, the books call it a dry beer, or if my yeast screw up(see my "overheated yeast?" thread) trashed it.

Thanks

How long has it been in the bottle? Green beer can lack body or taste rough.

Post your recipe and gravities if you can.

8 oz rye
4 oz carapils
both steeped 15 min
6 lbs gold extract
1 tbsp gypsum
wyeast british ale
the yeast I accidentally through in with hot sanitizer, and the bag blew up like a football.

I'm trying to figure out if the rye beer is supposed to be like a really dry wine, or if I created some fusel alcohols.

I know I'll have to wait for a couple of weeks for the final answer

I believe rye, either flaked or malted, needs to be mashed like any other adjunct/malt. I suppose there would be some flavor contributed by steeping, but I can't imagine there would be very much.

Flaked rye mashed adds a dry, faintly spicy, almost minty quality.

It is amazing what just a little time in the bottle does. It's only been a week, and while it still tastes green, the dryness is gone.

Welcome to the obsession... see how that puppy tastes in 3 weeks. The AHS Holiday Chocolate Stout I did tasted, well, not so good after 1 week in the bottle. After 3-4 it was downright awesome. I've stashed a couple of bottles in the basement to come back and try a few more months down the road.

Back