Rust???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
This is strange.

My old fridge kegerator was getting some mold spots on it from sitting in the extra humid garage so I wiped the outside down with a 50% bleach solution and cleaned it up nice. It was fine for a few days and then I go into the garage today and the front of the door is all spotted with these rusty looking blotches. The spots won't wipe off with any type of cleaner so I believe it to be rust. But this is shocking because I don't see any exposed metal. The front of the door is covered in a heavy plastic lining as you can see in my old thread when I built the kegerator.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=411802

I'll try to post a pic of the spots but this junky laptop doesn't like to do that easily. How could rust form through that plastic lining/finish?

idk but to mitigate your issue i would buy some scentless crystal (silica) based kitty litter and put it into a nylon stocking and put it in your fridge for moisture control. i have some in my ferment chamber so i dont get mold in there.

all you have to do is put it in the sun on a hot day to get rid of the built up moisture in the silica and then put it back into the fridge.

So, you cleaned the outside of the fridge, and now the outside is spotted with rust?

Looking at your build pics I don't think that fridge could possibly be old and abused enough to be rusting away from the inside, so whatever you used on the outside must've found imperfections in the paint.

And I've seen fridges and freezers in basements or garages sporting that rust rash, fwiw. It happens...

Cheers!

It is the outside, right on the freezer door mostly. My wife just recently was able to get most of it off by rubbing on a mixture of baking soda and vinegar. It looks and smells like rust but there is no exposed metal where the spots were :confused:

I wondering if I should get it all off, if possible, and give it a spray over with a can of some type of laquer/protectant?

Also, thanks for kitty litter tip. I'll try that.

If you don't address the exterior rusting it'll likely grow.

There are rust removers, and rust "reformers", you can use.

Then a light sanding for grip, thorough cleaning, and you can use appliance paint in a rattle can to finish...

Cheers!

I'm not sure if it will work in your application but if you go to an auto parts store you can buy "Mothers chrome polish", i've used it to remove rust pits from car rims and it does a decent job of it.
If your surface rust issue returns then yes it wouldn't hurt to strip it bare and prime/paint it.

What a pain. I just got most of the front covered with cool brewery stickers and now I'm gonna have start over again.
Unless I start that keezer project ;) No, that's too big a project right now.

Back