Maytag Model MFF2558VEM10 are there coolant lines on right side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarponteaser

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I've searching online and called Maytag and have not found any info regarding the placement of coolant lines on the fridge I bought second hand for the garage. My old fridge keg set up died several years ago and I'd like to set this one up with 3 taps on the door and run the CO2 line in the right hand side of the unit. Looking at the fridge liner schematics on maytag site, it appears there is a wire that runs close to the front edge on the right side. There are no schematics regarding the freon lines and Maytag support said only the techs have that info and I cant talk to them without a service call.

Anyone have knowledge of this unit? I checked the temp of the side of fridge with my infrared thermometer and did not see any hot spots, but not sure if that indicates that it is safe to drill.

Any insight is appreciated

Going through the diagrams found here I would say there is almost zero chance of there being anything in the side panels. No plumbing, no wiring, no ducting...nothing. That unit has an active condenser (fan driven radiator) under the floor, as opposed to using a passive system based on tubing running under the cabinet skin. I didn't see any wire in the diagrams linked above but there is a defrost heater presumably attached to the evaporator, perhaps the referenced wire feeds that.

That said, I always go conservative and use a pencil soldering iron tip to melt a small hole through the interior liner where I intend to knock a hole through the cabinet. I then use a thin probe to poke through the insulation to the exterior sheet metal and make sure there's nothing lurking. Then I widen the liner hole to approach the finished hole size, do another probe, then drill through and through.

Never hit anything yet - and that's going through the back wall on all three of my brewery fridges. One is much more likely to run into something back there (wiring, plumbing, manifolds, etc) so studying the diagrams is important :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ok, on a different site I found this diagram showing something running along the front-right edge to the top of the food compartment. But there aren't any part references to what might be up there. Is there a thermostat or perhaps a light up there?

Should be able to avoid whatever that is...

Cheers!
1668030153399.png

That is the inside liner for the fridge part. The thermostat controls are on top, and those are wires running somewhat close to the right front edge near door. That is the ONLY schematic I have found showing anything . Thanks for the advise. Once the freezer is empty and nothing remains in fridge but sodas, I'll do the exploratory through the sidewall. The first fridge I converted had a small CO2 tank inside and the gauges rusted from the constant condensation in a fridge on a Florida covered pool patio. When it came time to test the CO2 cylinder, I bought a larger one instead and kept it outside and ran tube in the fridge....which I will do for the garage fridge.

Back