Humidity+exposed wood inside Keezer = mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
Hey guys, question for you Keezer folks. I have been using my kegerator in an old fridge for a few years and planning on switching and building a Keezer for multiple reasons. I understand humidity and Keezers go hand in hand and wonder if any of you have ever experienced mold issues due to this?
1. I'm planning on buying one of those ever dry units but the kegerator I'm using now has a leak somewhere and always has a puddle in the bottom. Its a lot easier to mop this up in my Kegerator than in a Keezer I'm thinking.

2. I see some guys with exposed wood as collars or lids and wonder if mold is an issue since its so hard to seal these units 100%.

Thoughts?

If you're using pressure treated lumber this shouldn't be an issue. Oak barrels mold on the outside in cool, damp cellars because they aren't pressure treated. If you're really concerned you could always paint the wood which will create a barrier to mold growth and extend the life of the wood. Unless you are hosing liquid all over the wood on a regular basis I wouldn't worry much about it.

Considered painting it as cheap insurance however although sealed, it could still mold up I think? Folks have been building and using these keezers for the last decade and was curious if this was ever a problem.
Also wondering how much of a benefit it is to insulate the collar with styro as I see some do it, some don't.

I've built a few keezers and ferment chambers over the years (both for me and for fellow brewers). I like to paint the wood with Killz paint just to make me feel better. Do I have any proof it works? No, but mold isn't an issue for me. I also use and recommend some kind of humidity control (Eva Dry, crystal absorption, etc) and a quick wipe with a towel helps.
Insulated collar - I stopped doing that when I always seemed to snag the styro somehow when putting in kegs, changing lines, etc. It just wasn't worth it for me, but I'm klutzy.

Back