American Pale Ale Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jukas!!!

I brewed this recipe for my third time now. Really love this beer every time I brew it, and so do my friends and family.

I entered my first homebrew competition. The BJCP certified "Go For The Glory Homebrew Competition" in Sacramento, California. Hosted by the New Glory Brewpub.

I entered this beer under category 10a, American Pale Ale.

The beer not only took the GOLD for the category, but also won BEST OF SHOW!!!!

And the grand prize for best overall beer is that the winner would help brewmaster Julien Lux of the venue, to scale the recipe to his 15 barrel brewery and have the beer available on draft at the bar of the brewpub.

So that's me! For my first competition I am damn excited to say the least.

Hope you dont mind me entering your recipe!

Jukas!!!

I brewed this recipe for my third time now. Really love this beer every time I brew it, and so do my friends and family.

I entered my first homebrew competition. The BJCP certified "Go For The Glory Homebrew Competition" in Sacramento, California. Hosted by the New Glory Brewpub.

I entered this beer under category 10a, American Pale Ale.

The beer not only took the GOLD for the category, but also won BEST OF SHOW!!!!

And the grand prize for best overall beer is that the winner would help brewmaster Julien Lux of the venue, to scale the recipe to his 15 barrel brewery and have the beer available on draft at the bar of the brewpub.

So that's me! For my first competition I am damn excited to say the least.

Congrats on your BoS win for your first entry :drunk: ! This (both retail and homebrew version ) is still one of my all time favorites, so hearing that other people not only really like it, but rebrew it is a huge kick for me.

Hope you dont mind me entering your recipe!

I don't mind at all, I'm just happy to see this beer getting the recognition it deserves.

Check the fine print around the 'prize' though. I've seen some really wonky stuff (not in the homebrew world) where the vendor ends up owning the rights to the IP. Since this is a direct clone of a commercial beer that Vinnie was very generous to share, I'd hate to see anything like that happen. :mug:

Indeed, the last thing I would want is to legally give another breweries recipe away to another. I'll ask when I talk with Mr. Julien Lux from the New Glory Brewery. And ask about the legal steps which I assume would have to be met before him brewing and serving the beer on his premesis.

Sacramento is not my home town so I wouldn't mind if he doesn't brew it if there is a legal thing such as that, I could live without that prize. Im waiting for my feedback sheets in the mail and can't wait to get those! That's the real reason I entered you know

But I can't lie that I am damn excited to have won best overall beer in my first competition. And to think I was just complaining about my brewery process to my LHBS a couple weeks ago. Hah

Talk about reaffirming my whole setup. I was looking forward to getting some feedback and maybe a bronze AHA medal to hang up. But damn. All I can say is I am super stoked and can't wait to fire up my burners again soon.

Seriously I love this clone recipe, So glad you posted this one :rockin:

I saw the page. Pretty cool that you made it through four elimination rounds and then won a BoS.

The prize info is pretty vague, My guess is you'll have to ask specifically.

Mind posting your bjcp notes when you get them? I'm interested to see judge feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for this recipe. I made it today for my first all grain. Subbed the Simcoe for Centennial though.

Here's hoping it turns out well. :mug:

UPDATE:

Hey there Jukas and anyone else who is interested...
Finally got my score sheets in the mail from the competition where this recipe took BEST of SHOW, and GOLD for the Pale Ale Category.

Be warned though these judges have some pretty awful handwriting, better grab your glasses beforehand. :drunk:

Plus I am generally not vain in these regards but I cant wait for that damn blue ribbon to arrive ;)

The following may be just a little bit :off:

I suppose I cant help holding it in any longer though, my version of this recipe with low mash efficiency of a post boil gravity of 1.039 is being entered into the GABF this year in the PRO-AM. Not under American Pale Ale but under the Session Ale category. I even made a priority and personnaly wrote Mr. Cilurzo and made sure it was okay with him to enter a beer based off of his recipe. He assured me as long as I don't use the name Row 2 Hill 56 in it, he doesn't mind if it has the same flavor profile let alone the same ingredients! He congratulated me on first victory and says he will hunt it out in Denver and make a note to try it and meet me if i'm at the booth pouring it. :D

He also mentioned that Mike McDole from the Brewing Network has won the Samuel Adams Longshot Homebrew Contest with a Pliny the Elder clone and Samuel Adams brewed and distributed it nationwide in the Longshot 6-pack. He said that clones in competition aren't uncharted territory just to be sure to not step on any of their trademarked names.

So go forth and Brew!!!!!!! :mug:

BJCP Cover Sheet.jpg

BJCP Score Sheet 1.jpg

BJCP Score Sheet 2.jpg

UPDATE:

Finally got my score sheets in the mail from the competition where this recipe took BEST of SHOW, and GOLD for the Pale Ale Category.

Be warned though these judges have some pretty awful handwriting, better grab your glasses beforehand. :drunk:

Plus I am generally not vain in these regards but I cant wait for that damn blue ribbon to arrive ;)

I suppose I cant help holding it in any longer though, my version of this recipe with low mash efficiency of a post boil gravity of 1.039 is being entered into the GABF this year in the PRO-AM. Not under American Pale Ale but under the Session Ale category. I even made a priority and personnaly wrote Mr. Cilurzo and made sure it was okay with him to enter a beer based off of his recipe. He assured me as long as I don't use the name Row 2 Hill 56 in it, he doesn't mind if it has the same flavor profile let alone the same ingredients! He congratulated me on first victory and says he will hunt it out in Denver and make a note to try it and meet me if i'm at the booth pouring it. :D

He also mentioned that Mike McDole from the Brewing Network has won the Samuel Adams Longshot Homebrew Contest with a Pliny the Elder clone and Samuel Adams brewed and distributed it nationwide in the Longshot 6-pack. He said that clones in competition aren't uncharted territory just to be sure to not step on any of their trademarked names.

1. Congrats to you.

2. Vinnie is the man. So much to be said for the quiet confidence that comes with humility.

I know I can't lie that I was a little confused. I got judged by 5 different judges in my two entries. My Belgium blonde that I entered only got a 22 out of 50 and didn't even place in the whole competition. But the three scoresheets I got from that entree were super clean and easy to read. I guess I got some sloppy American Pale Ale judges haha. I don't know why they can't just make it a point to all write in nice clean block lettering, forget all that cursive crap....

I know it's not really where they belong, but I'll post the other sheets if your curious to actually read some feedback from the competetion :D

just kegged it! brewed on 6/21, dry hop for 5 days with 2.25oz, I also bottled a six pack so i can compare both... can't wait to taste!

cannot wait anymore! put a bottle in the fridge last night and just cracked it up....this is frikkin good! also put the keg in the keezer last night, will give it the gelatin treatment and see how it goes... so far really impressed!

Hey guys, Im a total noob. Row 2 Hill 56 is one of my favorite beers, so I am really excited to brew this this weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew where i can convert this to a 5 gallon batch or what numbers are ok to leave the same and which i need to change. I want this to come out as close as possible, Thanks!

Hey guys, Im a total noob. Row 2 Hill 56 is one of my favorite beers, so I am really excited to brew this this weekend. I was wondering if anyone knew where i can convert this to a 5 gallon batch or what numbers are ok to leave the same and which i need to change. I want this to come out as close as possible, Thanks!

THe best way would be to use software like beersmith to scale to X gallons. However if you don't have it, you could simply do napkin math to get close. The recipe is based on a 6 gal batch, so 5/6th would be 83.33%. That should get you close on the grain and hops figures, though I'm not sure how well it would hold up on the mash and strike water.

If you don't have access to something like beersmith let me know and I can scale it down for you when I'm next around the laptop that I have the original recipe on.

I tried just doing it by "napkin math" but I want it to be as close to the original as possible. If you have the time to throw it in beersmith and get me the exact measurements that would be great.
Thanks!!

I tried just doing it by "napkin math" but I want it to be as close to the original as possible. If you have the time to throw it in beersmith and get me the exact measurements that would be great.
Thanks!!

Here it is scaled to 5.5gal into the fermenter, to end up with 5gal +/- into the keg/bottles.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 10.6 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.5 SRM) Grain 1 60.4 %
3 lbs 9.2 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (2.5 SRM) Grain 2 32.4 %
12.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.2 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 23.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 16.9 IBUs
0.92 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.15 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
0.9 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 8 -
1.83 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Here it is scaled to 5.5gal into the fermenter, to end up with 5gal +/- into the keg/bottles.

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal

Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG

Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM

Estimated IBU: 40.4 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 78.4 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

6 lbs 10.6 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.5 SRM) Grain 1 60.4 %

3 lbs 9.2 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (2.5 SRM) Grain 2 32.4 %

12.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.2 %

0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 23.5 IBUs

0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 16.9 IBUs

0.92 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

1.15 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

0.9 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 8 -

1.83 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

IMO I'd leave the F/O and Dryhop same as original. More hop flavour. And aroma.

IMO I'd leave the F/O and Dryhop same as original. More hop flavour. And aroma.

Shrug. He asked for a scaled down version of the OP, which is what I gave him. I personally wouldn't remove the Flame Out hops, even if I wanted more dry hop additions. To each their own I guess, but my suggestion is to always brew a recipe as provided first, then make tweaks to your own taste from there.

Scaling a recipe is not the same as tweaking a recipe. Just saying.

Scaling a recipe is not the same as tweaking a recipe. Just saying.

Agreed, i normally scale my recipes to suit my system, however i keep my Flameout and dryhops as existing fo the first try and tweak from there,.
just what I do. seems to work for me.

Agreed, i normally scale my recipes to suit my system, however i keep my Flameout and dryhops as existing fo the first try and tweak from there,.
just what I do. seems to work for me.

I misread your post I quoted, and thought you were suggesting to remove the Flameout addition. Side effect of trying to cram forum tasks into the workday I guess :drunk:

There's nothing wrong with your way, keeping the FO & DH additions per the original recipe while scaling down everything else, but it's going to be a slightly different beer. I personally always advocate brewing a recipe to the original standard so you have a solid baseline knowledge of what the beer is supposed to be like before you start making your own tweaks and changes.

The commercial Row 2 Hill 56 is a surprisingly balanced and hoppy beer for such small hop additions and I stayed true to that in the clone recipe. Some people love it like that (like This Guy!) while others want more hop flavor, or higher IBU's pushing it more towards IPA style.

Fortunately there's no wrong answer here. :D

UPDATE:

Congratulations!!!!!! I also have a beer at the GABF in the pro-am. My partner is figueroa mountain, and the beer is a Belgian Dark Strong. Who's your partner? I'll be sure to stop by the booth and give it a try!

I misread your post I quoted, and thought you were suggesting to remove the Flameout addition. Side effect of trying to cram forum tasks into the workday I guess :drunk:

There's nothing wrong with your way, keeping the FO & DH additions per the original recipe while scaling down everything else, but it's going to be a slightly different beer. I personally always advocate brewing a recipe to the original standard so you have a solid baseline knowledge of what the beer is supposed to be like before you start making your own tweaks and changes.

The commercial Row 2 Hill 56 is a surprisingly balanced and hoppy beer for such small hop additions and I stayed true to that in the clone recipe. Some people love it like that (like This Guy!) while others want more hop flavor, or higher IBU's pushing it more towards IPA style.

Fortunately there's no wrong answer here. :D

Fair enough. I think it's time to make another tweaked version for me. Back to the brew list.
Summers coming in NZ

My partner is Julien Lux. His brewery is the New Glory Craft Brewery, located in Sacramento, California.

I am very excited to be at the GABF. To be honest I missed the ticket sale so know I am putting all my eggs into the craigslist basket to try to get a ticket for at least one day... Unless someone here on HBT wants to stoke someone,
namely myself.... :mug:

But anyways....
I was talking to him while he was taking the first sample of fermented wort out of his fermenter and he said it is pretty close, not as hop forward as my/this recipe. But he said it is a very good tasting beer. I am looking forward to driving the 45minutes again to his brewery and trying the cold carbonated final product off the tap this Friday.

I hope I can make it to the event. And if I do you know for a fact I'll be prowling through the PRO-AM booths almost exclusively. Very pumped to finally have my brewing "skills" appreciated haha

My partner is Julien Lux. His brewery is the New Glory Craft Brewery, located in Sacramento, California.

I am very excited to be at the GABF. To be honest I missed the ticket sale so know I am putting all my eggs into the craigslist basket to try to get a ticket for at least one day... Unless someone here on HBT wants to stoke someone,
namely myself.... :mug:

But anyways....
I was talking to him while he was taking the first sample of fermented wort out of his fermenter and he said it is pretty close, not as hop forward as my/this recipe. But he said it is a very good tasting beer. I am looking forward to driving the 45minutes again to his brewery and trying the cold carbonated final product off the tap this Friday.

I hope I can make it to the event. And if I do you know for a fact I'll be prowling through the PRO-AM booths almost exclusively. Very pumped to finally have my brewing "skills" appreciated haha

right on man. Good on ya. I currently have tickets for myself and wife for 2 sessions, but there's an outside chance I end up with a brewers pass, or get other tickets. If I do, I'll give you first shot at my current tickets via PM. Don't stop looking though, like I said, it's an "outside" chance at this point.

Killed my keg in 2 weeks! Just upgraded my mlt and bk to 20 gallons so I can brew 10 gallons batch of this stuff!

It's been 2 weeks in the bottle taste really good. There is a small off flavors to it. It did ferment a bit high. Still taste really good. I will have to brew it again soon. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408589214.523021.jpg

brewed a 12 gallons batch (ended up with ~11.5 in the fermenters) efficiency end up on the high side, got 1.070... made 2 1.5 liters starter... will see how's the attenuation goes. Was my first batch with the tower of power and the 20 gallons bk and mt...

Wow, thanks for the recipe, I love this beer, the Simcoe just shines. Definitely will do this one again. Not bad at all for my 11th overall and 8th AG brew.

Heres my version, grain and hop bill the same but used 1272 AmericanAleII yeast. Brewed at the end of August, bottled 3 weeks later, halfway into my supply at end of October.

002_zps37d34af6.jpg

Funny thing I have had similar beers and this is exactly the flavor I was trying to get but have yet to get the chance to quaff the original.

Did Vinnie suggest Belgian Pilsner malt to you, or was Belgian selected because that is what you had on hand? I only ask because I use Pilsner malts from all 3 major regions (U.S., Belgium/French, Germany).

I apologize in advance if this was answered in this thread already, but I did a search within the thread and didn't find it answered.

Did Vinnie suggest Belgian Pilsner malt to you, or was Belgian selected because that is what you had on hand? I only ask because I use Pilsner malts from all 3 major regions (U.S., Belgium/French, Germany).

I apologize in advance if this was answered in this thread already, but I did a search within the thread and didn't find it answered.

Vinnie didn't suggest any specific origin of Pilsner malt, nor a preferred maltster. I typically just snag whichever Pilsner malt my LHBS has in rotation at that type, which I think it's typically been Belgian.

Truth be told, the difference between the malts might be getting into minutia detail that's beyond my current skill level to detect. :tank:

I'm going to make my second iteration of this and was wondering if anyone has done any steeping or whirlpooling with the flameout hop addition. I'm thinking of doing a short 20-30min steep before chilling (mainly because my new system allows it :D ) but wasn't sure if it may adversely affect the intent of this beer.

I'm going to make my second iteration of this and was wondering if anyone has done any steeping or whirlpooling with the flameout hop addition. I'm thinking of doing a short 20-30min steep before chilling (mainly because my new system allows it :D ) but wasn't sure if it may adversely affect the intent of this beer.

i typically hop stand for 15-20 min before chilling beers like this.

RKLQrJf.jpg

I took the malt bill from this recipe and used up some cascade hops I already had. This was my first brew with my temp controlled fermentation chamber, it turned out really good. Used US-05, the beer came out really clean and almost reminds me more of a pilsner than a pale ale.

I took the malt bill from this recipe and used up some cascade hops I already had. This was my first brew with my temp controlled fermentation chamber, it turned out really good. Used US-05, the beer came out really clean and almost reminds me more of a pilsner than a pale ale.

Nice looking pint!
I brewed this with Mosaic and it was enjoyable but just too fruity. Smelled like really ripe guava/passion fruit. Will likely brew it again with Simcoe like in the original post.
I do like the grain bill.

Back