Russian Imperial Stout in a fresh whiskey barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I just ordered a freshly emptied 15 gallon whiskey barrel and I'm getting ready to fill it. I can't decide what I want to do with it. I would like to get as much of the spirit character as possible.

I think ideally I would rack to the barrel after high krausen and then topping off after a couple days. I have a couple of problems with this process. I can only brew about 11 gallons at a time. Brewing 11 gallons of a beer as big as a Russian Imperial Stout is going be difficult on my system also.

My biggest concern is the barrel, I don't want it to dry out. The barrel should be delivered in a couple of days and I won't be able to brew for another 10 days or so after it arrives. By the time I had 15 gallons ready to rack to the barrel it would be empty for weeks. It also doesn't say on the website how long ago the barrel was emptied.

I'm thinking I will primary ferment in the barrel. The following week I will make another batch of the same beer and ferment that batch in glass. Once the 2nd batch is ready I will top the barrel. The top of the barrel will still be empty for longer than I'd like but I can't think of a way to fill it any quicker.

Here is the recipe so far...

image.jpeg

Back