Russian Imperial Stout - High Acidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
I recently brewed a russian imperial stout with a gigantic proportion of roasted grain and malts. Generally I like the way the flavor is progressing, but at this point it is quite acidic in flavor. Is this something I should expect? Will it age out?

Specifics:

I did not adjust my water, other than adding 1 campden tablet per 20 gallons to reduce chloramines, and frequently brew dark beers with success. I did not add chalk or anything else to attempt to correct the mash or final pH.

Here's my grain bill:

Maris Otter Pale Malt 17.00 lbs
Black Barley (595L) 2.00 lbs
Brown Malt 2.00 lbs
Special B Malt 1.00 lbs
British Dark Crystal Malt 1.00 lbs
Pale Chocolate Malt 215 0.50 lbs
Chocolate Malt 450 1.25 lbs
Black Patent Malt 1.25 lbs

That comes out to about 17% very highly roasted malts and grains, and the percentage jumps to 27% if you consider anything 150L or above.

120 min. mash at 150F with a water:grist ratio of 1.15 qts/lb. I did not measure pH.

120 min. boil, 135 IBUs calculated (magnum for bittering, EKG for flavor). Pitched 3 packets of S-05.

OG was 1.130, FG was 1.026. I will gladly age this for many years, so if anybody has experience with their extremely young RIS tasting acidic and aging out, please speak up!

Currently it's just been kegged. Brewed on 12/30/11.

Thanks for any help!

That's quite a recipe. Between the roast, hop, and alcohol levels, I'm sure this will taste worlds better in a few months, and will probably improve for a year or more. As to whether the acidity you're tasting will die down, I can't say for sure. I get a lot of bitterness, something of an acrid flavor, in a young RIS that does die down, but I'm not sure if that's what you're picking up on, too.

Back