Imperial Stout Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. So brewed this 2 weeks ago. OG was 1.098. I used 2 packs of s-05 dry yeast, I didn't rehydrate it just sprinkled it on the top. Measured it a week later and it was down to 1.041, a week later I measured it again and it's still at 1.041.
Stuck fermentation you think or just wait and see? I was planning on leaving it in there for 1 month anyway. Is there a way to get those little bugs working again?

How would someone go about doing that?

Sorry to be slow responding to this. I have been away.

There are a number of good yeast strains to choose from. US-05 is pretty safe. I've read some who suggested the use of a champagne yeast for this purpose. WLP-001 and 1056 are about the same as US-05 but would probably be a little tougher logistically to store and then use the leftovers. So I'd suggest sticking to dry yeast for this reason.

Simply make a slurry of 1/2 pack of dry yeast per manufacturer's rehydration recommendations. Rack the beer to the bottling bucket, stir in the yeast and bottle as usual. You could probably pitch it dry but I always prefer to rehydrate dry yeast.

With any high gravity beer it is good insurance that the bottles will carbonate as they should.

Cheers!
:mug:

Puddlethumper are telling to bottle at 1.041? I would not bottle at 1.041. I would say make a starter and repitch.

Ok. So brewed this 2 weeks ago. OG was 1.098. I used 2 packs of s-05 dry yeast, I didn't rehydrate it just sprinkled it on the top. Measured it a week later and it was down to 1.041, a week later I measured it again and it's still at 1.041.
Stuck fermentation you think or just wait and see? I was planning on leaving it in there for 1 month anyway. Is there a way to get those little bugs working again?

Did you use a hydrometer to measure the gravity? If you used a refractometer the alcohol will skew the reading higher than what it is actually.

Puddlethumper are telling to bottle at 1.041? I would not bottle at 1.041. I would say make a starter and repitch.

I have a 1/2 pack of S-05 that I've had for a little while. Would making a starter with that work? I've never made a starter before so not sure how to go about it.
I used a hydrometer to check.
Would I re-pitch right into the fermenter like normal, minus the aeration?

There are lots of places to read about making a starter from people more qualified than I and would recommend you do some research . what I do is make about 1 liter of wort using grain/DME or lme to close to your same gravity, ad yeast and when it's get going good, pitch it. If not using a stir plate you just have to swirl it multiple times a day. I use a 1.75 liter bottle with a stopper and airlock.

So, if i have a 1/2 pack of yeast, would i just cut things in 1/2?

Just make a small container of wort. About 1 or 2 quarts at 1.040 SG. Use a light DME. Since you probably don't have a stir plate you could swirl it a couple times a day. No hops needed. When this small beer is done you'll have plenty of yeast to pitch. There are plenty of posts on starters available. Do a Google search you'll be fine.

No, he was responding to an earlier question regarding adding yeast to the bottling bucket after a long bulk condintioning where you're concerned that the original yeast is no longer viable.

I have a 1/2 pack of S-05 that I've had for a little while. Would making a starter with that work? I've never made a starter before so not sure how to go about it.
I used a hydrometer to check.
Would I re-pitch right into the fermenter like normal, minus the aeration?

So, if i have a 1/2 pack of yeast, would i just cut things in 1/2?

abbysdad, you do not want to make a starter with dry yeast. Just hydrate it in about 100 ml of water that you have boiled, then cooled to about 100 degrees. Starters are for liquid yeast.

Now, with regard to your apparent stuck fermentation, you're already up over 7.5% ABV. You need to get more healthy yeast in there. I would either hydrate another full package of dry yeast (save your half package for bottling) or make a starter with WLP001. (similar yeast to US-05) As others have said, NOT a good idea to bottle at that high of a final gravity.

Takeaway lesson from all this, when using dry yeast it is generally considered best practice to hydrate. It's easy and doesn't take that much more time. Especially when pitching into VERY high ABV wort like a RIS. Mine was also 1.098 and I pitched two hydrated packs of S-04. (a beast of a yeast) My FG got down to 1.026.

No, he was responding to an earlier question regarding adding yeast to the bottling bucket after a long bulk condintioning where you're concerned that the original yeast is no longer viable.

abbysdad, you do not want to make a starter with dry yeast. Just hydrate it in about 100 ml of water that you have boiled, then cooled to about 100 degrees. Starters are for liquid yeast.

Now, with regard to your apparent stuck fermentation, you're already up over 7.5% ABV. You need to get more healthy yeast in there. I would either hydrate another full package of dry yeast (save your half package for bottling) or make a starter with WLP001. (similar yeast to US-05) As others have said, NOT a good idea to bottle at that high of a final gravity.

Takeaway lesson from all this, when using dry yeast it is generally considered best practice to hydrate. It's easy and doesn't take that much more time. Especially when pitching into VERY high ABV wort like a RIS. Mine was also 1.098 and I pitched two hydrated packs of S-04. (a beast of a yeast) My FG got down to 1.026.

Awesome, thank you very much. Off to the LBH store today, I think. Thank you all

Ok. So I rehydrated a full pack of s-05 last night per instructions and pitched it. Checked this morning for any signs of activity in the fermenter, did not see any, my question is, should I see any?

Ok. So I rehydrated a full pack of s-05 last night per instructions and pitched it. Checked this morning for any signs of activity in the fermenter, did not see any, my question is, should I see any?

That also tells me you likely under-pitched. The beer may not attenuate like you expect.

Awesome, thats not what I wanted to hear. :(
I'll see how it goes this weekend and if I have to, should I pitch another hydrated pack?

How long has it been since you first pitched?

If under 12 hours, give it another shot of O2 and pitch another hydrated pack.

Either way, you should be seeing some fermentation soon.

I pitched it last night around 6 pm. It's been fermentation since 10/17/15.

I pitched it last night around 6 pm. It's been fermentating since 10/17/15.

Yes I am using a hydrometer. I just checked it and the readings have not moved since I pitched the extra yeast 2 days ago.

Excellent little piece in Zymurgy this month on bottle carbing high ABV beers.

Recommendation was:

• at bottling time: hydrate a dry yeast in warm water
  • after 30 minutes or so, add a bit of your fermented beer
  • add a bit more fermented beer after 12 hours or so
  • do this again after another 12 hours
  • so after 24-36 hours you effectively have a small yeast starter
  • then pour this yeast starter into the bottling bucket
  • add your priming solution
  • rack your big beer on top and bottle

This allows the yeast to acclimate to the high ABV environment before taking on the task of carbing in the bottle so it doesn't just explode as soon as it's introduced into your big beer.

I, for one, am going to do this today with an Imperial Stout that has been bulk aging for 5 months. Happy to report back on my success (or lack thereof) in 15-20 days.

These are the kind of comments that just make me wonder why I even engage. dump it wtf. I dont expect every beer i make to be buried in my tomb with my sarcophagus.

Perhaps your reading was wrong. I don't know anything about Imperial beers but I have brewed plenty of really strong beers and I never let them sit for very long and I don't care what their readings are. Have you tasted it I mean if you're pulling readings and stuff out anyway taste it. That's a lot better advice than dumping it don't you think. Your taste will tell you. I bet its good and I would love to drink some of it. I know nothing about brewing but it seems to me when it's fermented it's fermented when its done its done. Don't go throwing more yeast and stuff in it. You could always try to dance with it in the moonlight but you won't change the fact that this is how it chose to ferment and harmonize. If it needed to ferment it would of with extra yeast right. I did see a stuck fermentation once it was on a Mr beer kit I made that was 2 years expired.

Okay so I read the original post recipe man I like that recipe. I just made something oddly similar but was more a Belgian used Chateau monastique and special B.... honestly dude I think the special B in that recipes the real secret... if you haven't tasted every grain in your store you're missing out. Anyways I digress my point is I racked that beer after 10 days and it was definitely better couple weeks later but letting something sit 6 months yeah that's not going to happen with me I would have already drank it & brewed it again. Maybe I need to make more beer so I can let some age etc normally I brew drink and brew. In my keg now is pumpkin beer of course! I'll make something similar to that Russian stout for Christmas i think and no I won't let it sit for ever and yes everybody at the table will love it

Ya, I'm not sure I like that answer.:confused::(

I feel bad for you. You've come here looking for help, and you've gotten a lot of conflicting advice. Some of it good, some of it bad. If it were my beer, here are some things I would and would not do.

I would NOT dump it!
I would definitely not bottle it anytime soon.
I would give it at least two to three more weeks in primary.
I would consider making a starter with WLP001 and DME. I would use some of the procedures that philip listed in post 706, but not with dry yeast, and not until after the starter is going with DME. By stepping it up with your actual beer, the new yeast will hopefully become tolerent to the alcohol level, and will chew through any remaining fermentable sugar left in the beer. (if any)
After 2-3 more weeks in primary I would rack it off of the yeast cake and trub and let it bulk age for at least a month or two.
After this length of time, I would hope that anything that's going to ferment, has fermented. You shouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs, no matter how high the FG might be.
I would bottle, adding additional yeast and enough sugar to carb to about 2.5 volumes. Although closer to 2.0 is to style, I have a feeling you're going to have trouble getting this one to carb. I don't think a little extra dextrose is going to hurt.
Put em away and forget about them for awhile. I'm betting they will take two months or more to carb.

Like I said, these are some things that I would do. You now have to decide who's advice sounds the most reasonable, and go with it. Whatever happens, you will definitely learn from the experience, and I'm betting you will still end up with some tasty beer. Just be patient.

I feel bad for you. You've come here looking for help, and you've gotten a lot of conflicting advice. Some of it good, some of it bad. If it were my beer, here are some things I would and would not do.

I would NOT dump it!
I would definitely not bottle it anytime soon.
I would give it at least two to three more weeks in primary.
I would consider making a starter with WLP001 and DME. I would use some of the procedures that philip listed in post 706, but not with dry yeast, and not until after the starter is going with DME. By stepping it up with your actual beer, the new yeast will hopefully become tolerent to the alcohol level, and will chew through any remaining fermentable sugar left in the beer. (if any)
After 2-3 more weeks in primary I would rack it off of the yeast cake and trub and let it bulk age for at least a month or two.
After this length of time, I would hope that anything that's going to ferment, has fermented. You shouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs, no matter how high the FG might be.
I would bottle, adding additional yeast and enough sugar to carb to about 2.5 volumes. Although closer to 2.0 is to style, I have a feeling you're going to have trouble getting this one to carb. I don't think a little extra dextrose is going to hurt.
Put em away and forget about them for awhile. I'm betting they will take two months or more to carb.

Like I said, these are some things that I would do. You now have to decide who's advice sounds the most reasonable, and go with it. Whatever happens, you will definitely learn from the experience, and I'm betting you will still end up with some tasty beer. Just be patient.

And then after all this ......four or five months later ....drink right? In meantime while you wait for 4 months perhaps wrap them in individual little beer sweaters that you knit by hand

Txbighops That's sound advice, I agree with this. By the way what was your mash temperature?

Thank you everyone for all your advise. I can't remember what the mash temp was, I don't have the stats in front of me right now. I want to say about 154 or so..
So, last night I racked it to secondary with another rehydrated pack of S-05 and some yeast nutrient, per my LHBS. I plan on letting it sit in secondary for at least 3 months and the bottle.

And then after all this ......four or five months later ....drink right? In meantime while you wait for 4 months perhaps wrap them in individual little beer sweaters that you knit by hand

Yup, that's exactly what I would do. I like the sweater idea. I may see if I can get my Granny to whip up a few of those for my RIS that I brewed in June, bottled in August, and will drink sometime next year. Point is, I have plenty of beers in my pipeline that are ready to drink and in their prime right now. Why would I want to drink what might be a really awesome beer well before it's prime? But that's just me. It's HIS BEER. You've said what you would do, and I've said what I would do. He should now do what HE wants to do.

I would crush two beano tablets (Walmart) and bring the temperature up two degrees to restart your yeast. I had an Imperial Russian Stout stop working and the beano and additional heat restarted mine. Do not toss!

Back