Imperial Stout Russian Imperial Stout (2011 HBT Competition Category Winner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was planning to secondary it for 4 months anyway Lol. Just didn't know,how the,yeast cake,would affect the flavor. Sorry still getting used to this new phone keyboard.
From what I've heard, leaving it on the yeast cake isn't really a bad thing as previously thought. It's more about the commercial size batches that they worry about, not the home brew small batches. At least that's my understanding.

I dont believe long primaries are a concern for us as homebrewers. I personnally kept an eisbock on the cake 3 1/2 months at 10.3 % ABV. There is a great thread on here, "What's the longest you've kept a beer in primary (and still drank it)?". Shocking what some have gotten away with.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

From what I've heard, leaving it on the yeast cake isn't really a bad thing as previously thought. It's more about the commercial size batches that they worry about, not the home brew small batches. At least that's my understanding.

True for lagers holding between the temp lines, not for ales. Autolysis and the off flavors from it are a concern for any size batch. A shorter primary, (than secondary), and lower temp for secondaries help keep it in check. Temp/time/pitch is key to quality brew.

True for lagers holding between the temp lines, not for ales. Autolysis and the off flavors from it are a concern for any size batch. A shorter primary, (than secondary), and lower temp for secondaries help keep it in check. Temp is key.

Also important to note that under-pitching is still a routine problem in home-brewing. Ipso, autolysis is still a notable problem though not for pros like Jamil or John Palmer. We field dozens of questions weekly that resolve to under-pitching and autolysis.

So at bottling this I'm thinking about doing a gallon with cold brewed coffee, how much coffee should I use and how should I go about with priming sugar, never added coffee before but love coffee stouts so wasn't sure if the coffee would F with the priming sugar amount. Any help would be awesome, also what is the best % of carbonation on a RIS I have read them all over the place thanks guys.

I like my big stouts around 2 volumes. Maybe less. Traditionally they have low carbonation levels, but this is your brew. Carb to your preferences. I haven't used coffee, but I would assume to account for the total volume when it comes to calculating priming sugars. Hopefully someone else can chime in. How long have you ages it so far?

Took samples from the RIS and brown ipa yesterday this RIS is amazing as is no carb and I'm sittin at 10.1% right now brown ipa is sitting a 4% dry hopped it yesterday bottle in 4 days then transfer
RIS to secondary
View attachment 192684

Really like how that second runnings looks - mind sharing the details of how you got it made? I have never done a parti-gyle before, and I would really like to try doing one with this recipe.

Batch sparge to amount for RIS then just keep sparging to the amount you want on your second runnings, I went to 6gals and ended with 5gals at end of boil, with second runnings run just like normal boil for this one I went with 1oz nugget at 60 1oz each of cascade, centennial, willament at 10 and flame out whirlpool, then another oz of centennial cascade and willament at dry hop for 6 days I really enjoy it and at 4% it will fool any one because it has so much flavor

The less amount for your second runnings the higher the abv will be or you can add DME to bump up your og as well

Brewed this up last night. Came out at 1.095. Didn't really know what to expect with this big of a beer but very pleased. It smells amazing! Thank you for this recipe!

1399249576297.jpg

I had to empty my blowoff tub 2 times during my primary. That was with it being in my fermentation chamber. I thought I was going to blow the lid off! I agree with the above post. Good job and have fun.

When bottling how much priming sugar you guys use and how long they take to carb up think mine is showing signs of no life after 2
Weeks in the bottle. I used 4oz of corn sugar in 5 gals for 2.2vol

When bottling how much priming sugar you guys use and how long they take to carb up think mine is showing signs of no life after 2
Weeks in the bottle. I used 4oz of corn sugar in 5 gals for 2.2vol

I still used northern brewers calculator. I was afraid it wouldn't carb up with. I waited 4 weeks and the carbonation on it now is like it got poured from nitro

I am planning on making this over the weekend. I was going to to a Parti-gyle. 5gal of RIS and 10 gal of stout. Has anyone done this type of parti-gyle 1/3-2/3 split with this grain bill. I have seen that people have done parti-gyles just not sure of the volumes.

I made this recipe with a 1.5L starter of WLP023 Burton ale yeast ( FG : 1.030 ) . Bulk age over the winter for 7 months . It is the best stout i ever brewed . Simply Amazing !

Anyone add Oak chips or Vanilla? Thinking of doing both after tasting it about 2 months in.

I am planning on making this over the weekend. I was going to to a Parti-gyle. 5gal of RIS and 10 gal of stout. Has anyone done this type of parti-gyle 1/3-2/3 split with this grain bill. I have seen that people have done parti-gyles just not sure of the volumes.

I did 5.5gal of the RIS and got 5.5gal 4% dark ipa on my partigyle if I would of split first runnings between could of got it higher abv, but I just did all second runnings for my session dark ipa and it's amazing taste way more then 4%

I wish I would of keep a gallon to put on oak and bourbon but didn't oh well, oh and on carbing I'll let them go another two weeks and see what happens hope they carb up.

When would you all suggest peaking this?

I 'peek' at it about every 2 weeks ;) .. I am letting this bad boy age for 6 months. I've got about 3 months left then add French oak chips that I've been soaking in Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey, then bottle.

I 'peek' at it about every 2 weeks ;) .. I am letting this bad boy age for 6 months. I've got about 3 months left then add French oak chips that I've been soaking in Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey, then bottle.

I thought that after fermentation, about a month, you secondary on the oak and give that time to age. I'm about to pull mine from the ferm. and was going to do it that way. Now I'm wondering on what is the best way to age this on oak spirals soaked in Maker's Mark for the last two months. Any input is welcomed since this is my first RIS on bourbon soaked oak.

Back