Ruined yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter last night using a 1L flask and a foam stopper. Today when I was giving the starter a little swirl the foam built up very quickly and pushed the foam stopper out of the flask. I panicked and put the stopper back in but a few minutes later it pushed the stopper out again. The foam stopper fell onto the table, not the floor.

I now have the flask loosely covered with some tin foil and this seems to be holding.

Should I trash this starter and order more yeast? I wanted to brew this weekend but I don't mind waiting if there's a chance that I contaminated this yeast with my noobish mistake.

The yeast used in this starter is Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have a good starter going there...

What day are you planning to brew on? I would go for tomorrow/Saturday, so that you're home (to watch/listen for very active fermentation) during the start...

Be prepared with a blow-off tube setup, just in case it goes ape-nuts on you...

No don't trash it... you shojuld have sanitized the aluminum foil before using, but even then, when yeast is in full swing, its really rare for any organism to take over. Like Golddiggie said, its sounding very healthy... don't worry :)

Thanks for the responses everyone...

I'll proceed with my plans to brew tomorrow using this yeast. Hopefully the brewing gods will be smiling down upon me!

Back