Ruined batch with residual Oxyclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
I brewed today for the first time in a while, about a month ago i decided to clean up my gear and soaked my therminator in a bucket with oxyclean. I then soaked it in one with water and then would pick it out drain it and did that a few times. I never got around to pumping water through it or anything. . At the end of my brew i always recirc from my BK to therminator/pump and back to BK to sanitize. When it was returning to the BK i noticed a layer of foam coming out. Did i completely ruin this batch? First time ive used oxlclean, only because i ran out of PBW. The beer is in my lagerator to get to lager temps, i oxygenated it and there is still a layer of foam on top (has been about 30 mins or so, im hoping its starsan) If im screwed let me know! It would only have been a little oxyclean, but i do not want to waste a month or so on a lager that is a goner. Thanks!

it should be safe to drink. most of those cleaners are fine at low enough doses. I'd just make sure the beer tastes fine and check any warning labels on the oxyclean to see if that beer will be your last.

Unless somehow it was a lot of oxyclean I would think it is OK. What size bubbles in the foam. It seems to me the foam from oxyclean has very small bubbles - about the size of a ballpoint pen ball - and the Starsan has bigger bubbles - about the size of a pea.

Its a mixture of bubbles to be honest, i believe most of it was caused by oxyclean, i tried a sample with the gravity reading and it didnt necessarily taste off.

This is a pick of the bubbles just now taken, so they are still there about an hour past chilling. Yeast starter has not been pitched because its around 70f

Oxybeer.jpg

To me it looks like my wort after I dump it back and forth between kettle and fermentor a couple of times to aerate it. Oxyclean might leave a little residual residue but I bet you got most of it out. Paranoia getting the best of you?? Good luck.

Not paranoia, ive brewed enough batches to know the difference between aeration bubbles and oxyclean bubbles. I know some got in i just dont know how much, and what health issues that might cause. Hoping for the best, didnt really taste anything but thats likely because i got 88% efficiency, double decoctioned and am counting on success lol.

Gotcha. If it helps:

The Good News: OxiClean is described by some as an "environmentally friendly, natural" product. I was thrilled to find that OxiClean contains two active ingredients: Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate. The first is baking soda and the second is washing soda. This stuff is just what my grandma used! These substances form oxygen, hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when mixed with water. The oxygen is what cleans and brightens. There are no phosphates or bleach, which are two of the worst environmental offenders in most laundry products.

taken from HERE

Doesn't sound like it will hurt you (not that I would go eat it) but your beer should be fie. Plus if you tried a sample and it doesn't even taste off; it can't be too bad.

Gotcha. If it helps:

The Good News: OxiClean is described by some as an "environmentally friendly, natural" product. I was thrilled to find that OxiClean contains two active ingredients: Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate. The first is baking soda and the second is washing soda. This stuff is just what my grandma used! These substances form oxygen, hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when mixed with water. The oxygen is what cleans and brightens. There are no phosphates or bleach, which are two of the worst environmental offenders in most laundry products.

taken from HERE

well done. that should answer the question perfectly .

Latest posts

Back