Random efficiency gain…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This past weekend, brewed what will be a Key Lime Pie Sour. Large grain bill - 117lbs of grain and 20 lbs of Graham cracker crumbs. For the past 3 brews, we’ve slightly missed our OG mark, by anywhere from 3-5 points. Not a huge deal.

On this particular brew, the predicted OG was 1.080 and we ended up with 1.095.

I thought this was strictly due to the use of Graham cracker crumbs. However, if what I found on Reddit and the math is correct, the crumbs should only count for 6 gravity points. I’m trying to account for the other 9.

There’s a variable in here that is new that I’m wondering if it helped us out on the lauter efficiency - the use of a wort grant. The Graham crumbs and the large amount of grain made the lauter process a nightmare. Kept clogging pumps and too much junk getting through that would have ended up in the BK.

We rigged up a wort grant out of a 20gal kettle that was gravity fed through a hop spider to filter everything out. We then pumped off of the grant and into the BK.

In my Head, I’m wondering if the use of the grant contributed to the efficiency gain. Did the gravity feed through the grains allow us to collect more of the sugars as opposed to pulling liquid through the grain bed with a pump? Any thoughts? Does my theory hold water or is it full of holes?

Do you routinely measure end of mash SG, and use that to calculate your conversion efficiency? You need to know your conversion efficiency in order to calculate your lauter efficiency (using the formula:
Lauter Efficiency = Mash Efficiency / Conversion Efficiency​

Separating lauter and conversion efficiencies allows you to determine where in your process an increase or decrease in mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency originated. If you can't separate the two, you are just guessing about the origin of any changes.

Brew on :mug:

Do you routinely measure end of mash SG, and use that to calculate your conversion efficiency? You need to know your conversion efficiency in order to calculate your lauter efficiency (using the formula:
Lauter Efficiency = Mash Efficiency / Conversion Efficiency​

Separating lauter and conversion efficiencies allows you to determine where in your process an increase or decrease in mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency originated. If you can't separate the two, you are just guessing about the origin of any changes.

I used to. However I stopped. I would measure pre boil SG and use the temperature correction feature on brewers friend to convert and something wasn’t working right, whether it be my hydrometer at the higher temp or the calculator. Not sure but the number was not useful at the time. However now that we have better cooling capability, perhaps I should start doing that measurement again, just chill it to room temp first

I used to. However I stopped. I would measure pre boil SG and use the temperature correction feature on brewers friend to convert and something wasn’t working right, whether it be my hydrometer at the higher temp or the calculator. Not sure but the number was not useful at the time. However now that we have better cooling capability, perhaps I should start doing that measurement again, just chill it to room temp first
Pre-boil SG is not the same as end-of-mash SG. You need end-of-mash SG (before any sparge water is added.) in order to determine conversion efficiency. The wort in the MLT needs to be well homogenized before taking the sample in order for the results to be valid.

Pre-boil SG is not the same as end-of-mash SG. You need end-of-mash SG (before any sparge water is added.) in order to determine conversion efficiency. The wort in the MLT needs to be well homogenized before taking the sample in order for the results to be valid.

Gotcha. Yeah I haven’t been checking that number to date.

Back