Rubbermaid mash tun plastic in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
It seems the 'old cooler' mash tun is a popular path for a lot of folks. I have read that a lot of people note a plastic smell/flavor the first time they rinse out their cooler with hot water, but then it goes away. I just wonder if it really goes away or does one just not notice it anymore. Isn't anyone concerned about plastic chemical leaching into your beer? Not necessarily a concern for final beer product, but simply for health reasons? Just curious. I am just looking at options for a mash tun and lean toward some kind of SS option, but they sure are pricey compared to an old cooler. At the same time, I never microwave food in plastic (even if they say it is safe) just due to fear of chemical leaching.

My first mash tun was a old 5 gallon that I had been using for years so I never smelled the new plastic smell. My second one that I bought the last week I could smell the plastic while putting the braid in but never could smell the plastic during my hot water test.

I guess I am not worried.

Back