Mash Tun health safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobeerinheaven

Reaction score
I brewed a Japanese rice lager a couple of weeks ago---I did a step mash with my electric brewing element (the 220v hot rod is amazing). But unbeknownst to me, the element fried some of my CPVC false bottom and the plastic bottom of my cooler mash tun, exposing the stryofoam beneath. Frustrating. They were just a couple of small spots and I don't think the fried plastic taste will affect the beer so much that it needs to be thrown.

My question is: is the stryofoam inner core of a Coleman cooler a health safety hazard, so that I should thrown the batch away even if it tastes good? I'll be replacing the mash tun before the next batch, for what it's worth.

I doubt the plastic or the foam being a health hazard, it's used for food/beverages. Even when melted or scorched somewhat.

Now your wort will penetrate the foam space through cracks and holes, so you don't want that become a problem.
You need to seal/weld those areas.

I was planning to replace the cooler mash tun. Is there a cheaper fix? JB Water weld doesn't bond well with the plastic, I tried it some time ago for a different problem.

I think, at least the inside of beverage coolers is made of high density polyethylene (HDPE) same material as plastic "brew buckets." Not much sticks to it, indeed.

But clear aquarium/food grade silicone caulk has been sticking to mine quite well. Sand/rough up lightly with 100-150 grit and clean well with acetone before applying. Do not use nail polish remover, aside from acetone, it also contains a mixture of oils.

So you can cover up and seal cracks, and use it as a cement to glue patches onto larger holes. Wherever the insulating foam is missing, maybe use some "Puffy Caulk" aka "Great Stuff" to fill the void.

I'm not sure how well RTV (Room Temp Vulcanizing) silicone sticks to coolers or how it performs, never tried it in the mash tun.

Latest posts

Back