Round two, same result!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdanger

Reaction score
So this is my second attempt at a bells two hearted clone, used the beer smith recipe and nailed all my targets. I have this nasty medicinal taste, just like the first time I brewed it using a northern brewer kit. I've done 6 batches between with absolutely no faults or off flavors.

What the hell?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've done the Dead Ringer extract three or four times and it's one of my favorites. Super excited, doing the all grain kit today. Some people that have had my extract version just don't like it. Mainly average BMC drinkers but my wife loves all kinds of beer and she just doesn't really care for Dead Ringer. I think it gets better with age and the only off flavor I get (i'm no expert) is at times it can have a soapy taste. Reminds me of when I was a kid and took baths in ivory liquid and got suds in my mouth. It seems to lessen over time and hasn't been in all the batches. I don't know why or what the flavor is from, maybe others can chime in and help. I will say it is a little "hot" alcohol wise in my opinion but I like that.

So this is my second attempt at a bells two hearted clone, used the beer smith recipe and nailed all my targets. I have this nasty medicinal taste, just like the first time I brewed it using a northern brewer kit. I've done 6 batches between with absolutely no faults or off flavors.

What the hell?

What water did you use? All grain or extract?

From How to Brew by John Palmer

Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

All grain, and I've been using my local water which has been pretty good for the past half dozen batches.

All grain, and I've been using my local water which has been pretty good for the past half dozen batches.

How are you dechlorinating the tap water? Campden tabs? Slow flow through a carbon block?

I've only had this flavor from doing this specific batch. Everything else has been fine.

And I don't do anything to my water. Mainly because I haven't had a problem

It's not uncommon your water authority has changed how they treat their water. I have heard stories of some places doing this seasonally or depending on their water levels. Some locations use a few different supply areas.

Could also be that the other batches had some other chemical goofiness going on which kept your issue (chlorine problem, IMHO) at bay.

My first all-grain tasted like a series of bandaids. Horrible, but it was still beer so I drank it all. I did not share it with anyone else!

I have added campden tabs (1 tab per 20 gal - getting a 1/4 tab is a PITA) ever since and haven't had a repeat. Cheap insurance in my mind. While I was at it, I started adding a touch of acid (lactic in my case, because that's what my LHBS had) to my sparge water. Plus I got an RV drinking water hose.

Good luck - hopefully you can figure it out before you get too frustrated with AG.

I used RO water for drinking before I was brewing so I have always used it for brewing. My ppm of dissolved salts approaches zero usually between 5-10 ppm so I have to add back. I use John Palmer's spreadsheet for water adjustments which makes it pretty easy. Just something to think about. Oh and of course very good at removing chlorine and chloramine.

Back