Rough brew day today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00Seven

All-Terrain Brewing Company
Reaction score
I brewed a light lager today. In a brew that has to have everything perfect nothing went right. It's a recipe I designed, expected OG 1.033 batch size 5.25g. Expected pre boil volume 6.9g, pre boil gravity 1.024. Went through my steps as laid out by brewers friend, things seemed to go smoothly. Pre boil volume adjusted for temp, 6.6 gallons, ok no big deal just adjust boil time a touch and boil lower and it will be fine. Preboil gravity adjusted for temp 1.031, well crap that is a 7 point overshoot. I searched on google and did some math and lengthened my boil. Luckily I hadn't added hops yet. Ended up boiling for over 2 and a half hours. I guess I didn't add enough water though. Ended up with 5.25 gallons and a gravity of 1.037. Not horrible but not what I was going for. I'm also scared the really long boil will mess a bunch of stuff up.

I had 2 row, flaked corn, and minute rice for my grains. I ordered grains from a different supplier than I usually use. Maybe they crushed finer? I can't figure out how I had that much extraction though. Any ideas?

If you over shoot what is the go to method of correcting it? Normally I wouldn't care much but in this instance I wanted a specific OG and ABV.

Anything majorly wrong about a 2.6 hour boil?

I may have misread but it sounds like you were just short on volume. You could have sparged more or topped up with a little water which would have lowered your gravity and increased your volume. Extending the boil will lower your volume and increase your gravity.

I may have misread but it sounds like you were just short on volume. You could have sparged more or topped up with a little water which would have lowered your gravity and increased your volume. Extending the boil will lower your volume and increase your gravity.
I ended up adding 1.3 gallons to it. That was the reason for the extended boil, sorry didn't add that. I added water then increased the boil time to account for it.

Last edited:
At least your beer made it to your fermentor. I brewed a pumpkin ale today which had a massively stuck sparge (took close to 2 hours to get 7.5 gallons into the kettle even after MUCH stirring) and then everything went smooth....for awhile.

Fast forward to chilling - It's going well for about 15-20 minutes. Wort is down to 85ish, I decide to go in for a bit to clean up some equipment and watch football. Maybe 10 minutes tops. I walk out to this. The plastic tube inlet for the IC split open and poured water into my precious wort. I thought I might be able to toss it in the fermentor just to have SOMETHING - but the gravity was a measly 1.006. I shed a tear, said a prayer, and dump the liquid to its final resting place. I hope its happy, wherever it ended up.

kx3I29V.jpg

At least your beer made it to your fermentor. I brewed a pumpkin ale today which had a massively stuck sparge (took close to 2 hours to get 7.5 gallons into the kettle even after MUCH stirring) and then everything went smooth....for awhile.

Fast forward to chilling - It's going well for about 15-20 minutes. Wort is down to 85ish, I decide to go in for a bit to clean up some equipment and watch football. Maybe 10 minutes tops. I walk out to this. The plastic tube inlet for the IC split open and poured water into my precious wort. I thought I might be able to toss it in the fermentor just to have SOMETHING - but the gravity was a measly 1.006. I shed a tear, said a prayer, and dump the liquid to its final resting place. I hope its happy, wherever it ended up.

kx3I29V.jpg

That sucks! Sorry to hear of your loss.

Had the outlet hose pop off of my IC while not watching. Didn't feel too bad, as it was the first batch I lost in over 10 years of brewing. Picked up a flaring tool and put a bit of a bubble on the ends of the tubing so it won't happen again.

kx3I29V.jpg
A moment of silence please ...:(

I ended up adding 1.3 gallons to it. That was the reason for the extended boil, sorry didn't add that. I added water then increased the boil time to account for it.

Why not just add the necessary amount of water at the end of the boil, rather than having to boil a lot of it off? If gravity is too high, top-up water will fix that.

kx3I29V.jpg

For situations like this, rather than a "like," we need an emoji as such:

upload_2018-10-7_9-32-59.jpeg

The worst thing that can happen now is that this will be the best beer you've ever tasted, flavours dancing on your tongue like you've never tasted before.....and you'll never be able to repeat it.

Back