Root beer ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simwaves1

Reaction score
I was hoping to ask where everyone gets their ingredients for their root beer. I have acquired most of my ingredients through our local health food store, Monterey Bay Spice Company, or Rose Mountain Herbs. A couple of my ingredients come from the local home-brew shop.

I feel like these ingredients are hit or miss though. Some herbs/spices/roots seem to retain a lot of flavor when they are dried out and others don't. I think what I would really like is a source of fresh ingredients, but living on the west coast seems to make that more difficult.

Where do you get you ingredients from?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I get my main flavor ingredients from essential oils. They are much more consistent for flavor purposes. After that, I add dry herbs for other purposes, medicinal, stabilizing, head retention, creamyness...etc. Although there are some such as sarsaparilla and vanilla that I do like the flavor of dried herbs better than oil or extracts.

Hope this helps.

Back