Room temperature and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjs3

Reaction score
Hi, For my most recent brew I am working on maintaining an optimal temperature during fermentation. I'm currently 48hrs into fermentation and it has been very active from about the 12 hr mark.

Today it slowed...really not a concern but it got me thinking...... I have it in a nice quiet place in the basement...with a thermometer next to it...It was a bit warmer yesterday....low 60's per the thermometer... Now its holding around 59..the low temp mark is also 59.... Is that an ok temp for an ale? or too low for room temp?

I understand that the actual wort temp might be a few degrees higher... but is 59 too cool for the room temp of an ale? I wrapped it in a blanket this evening just to be safe....

What kind of yeast did you use? Most ales are happy in the mid 60's too.

Honestly, you are fine. But if you want to get technical, the guy above has a valid question about what yeast you used. Depending on the strain you selected, it could do a fast one or a slow one. Temperature and ales are very broad in temperature range compared to Lagers. However, once again, depending upon the type of yeast you use can give certain flavors based upon temperature.

Sorry I didn't think to mention the yeast I used. It's safale s04. Just read the package...59 -68. Guess I'm all set then. Thanks!

Here's an Yeast Bio:
A well-known English ale yeast, selected for its fast fermentation character and its ability to form a very compact sediment at the end of the fermentation, helping to improve beer clarity. This yeast is recommended for the production of a large range of ale beers and is specially well adapted to cask-conditioned ales and fermentation in cylindroconical tanks. High sedimentation. Optimum temp: 64°-75° F

I don't think this yeast is temperamental compared to a specific Wyeast strain smack pack.

Here's an Yeast Bio:
A well-known English ale yeast, selected for its fast fermentation character and its ability to form a very compact sediment at the end of the fermentation, helping to improve beer clarity. This yeast is recommended for the production of a large range of ale beers and is specially well adapted to cask-conditioned ales and fermentation in cylindroconical tanks. High sedimentation. Optimum temp: 64°-75° F

I don't think this yeast is temperamental compared to a specific Wyeast strain smack pack.

Awesome. This is helpful info! Much appreciated.

Back