Rookie Mistake???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalston1021

Reaction score
Hi Guys! I hope my brew will be okay, second one I've done...Dead Ringer IPA from Northern Brewer. I added the hops to my fermenting beer to dry hop the last week of this until bottling. As I put the air lock back on some of the water (very little) leaked into the bucket somehow, will this infest my beer. The water was from my tap which is as clean of tap water as you can get. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the fast reply, that makes me feel better as I thought I ruined this batch. This may be a dumb question but is there a time where you can't infect the beer anymore?

timalston1021 said:
Thanks for the fast reply, that makes me feel better as I thought I ruined this batch. This may be a dumb question but is there a time where you can't infect the beer anymore?

No, infection can occur at any time really. Any time you open your primary, secondary, transfer or bottle/keg you can introduce an infection. This is why sanitizing anything that comes into contact with your wort or beer is important.

duboman said:
No, infection can occur at any time really. Any time you open your primary, secondary, transfer or bottle/keg you can introduce an infection. This is why sanitizing anything that comes into contact with your wort or beer is important.

Thanks! What do you think about the un-sanitized water leaking into the bucket?

timalston1021 said:

So little, not an issue, the alcohol present will prevent that little bit from doing anything.

timalston1021 said:

Try not to let that **** happen, but, **** happens. It might have caused an infection, but I doubt it.

The only time I'm super hugely paranoid is from the time the wort is chilled, until the time the airlock is on. After that, meh, you've got a few hundred billion yeast cells competing with a small amount of bacteria, maybe. Then again I forgot to sanitize my carboy a few batches ago, and it turned or fine, so even then I'm not that paranoid.

Back