Rookie high gravity advice needed please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made the rookie mistake of attempting to brew a 1.092 OG IPA on my 4th extract batch. Everything went well and fermentation kicked in after less then 12 hours with a great krausen and is now starting to wind down after going strong for about 36-48 hrs. After reading some horror stories online I saw quite a few people mention that a pack of liquid wyeast is inferior to dry yeast especially without a yeast starter. What are some negative effects I can expect (maybe even fix?) for only using 1 smack pack of wyeast on this 5gallon 1.092 OG beer???please help.

Not necessarily inferior, certain pros and cons exist.

Viability is a bigger factor with liquid yeast. The older it is, the less active cells there are for fermentation. If you under pitch, you can either get some off flavors and/or your fermentation may be incomplete. The advantage with liquid yeast is way more variety in choice.

Dry yeast is much easier to work with and more viable after time, but less choice available.

If I were you, I would let this ride and see what happens. It's a good lesson. I dramatically underpitched my first brew and it turned out fine. Not great, but it was beer and I made it and I was proud of it.

If it makes you feel better, you can throw another snack pack in, but chances are you're going to be ok.

You didn't make a starter, you just opened the pack and tossed the yeast in.

Into 5 gallons of a 1.092 wort.

I expect some sort of off-flavours to be present, as you will probably stress those yeast mightily.

I am sure others can expand on this.

If it makes you feel better, you can throw another snack pack in, but chances are you're going to be ok.

If it's past 2 days and he has active fermentation going, there's no use in throwing more yeast in. They've multiplied enough to get going by now.

Wait until it has been at least a week and the krausen has dropped. Then get a gravity reading and you'll have an idea where you are. Check back in then and let us know what's up.

Thanks!you got it!

Also as some additional info: I have been fermenting for 48 hrs and I am still getting bubbles in 2 second intervals. To slym2none: I added 1 smack pack of liquid wyeast after giving it about 30hrs post activation(smacking the pack). The pack was fully inflated when I poured the yeast. Hope that added some useful additional info. Thanks again for all of the great help guys!!!

If it's past 2 days and he has active fermentation going, there's no use in throwing more yeast in. They've multiplied enough to get going by now.

As stated, if it makes you feel better. Yeast are beyond growth stage. My advice was to let it ride at this point.

Latest posts

Back