Roland's Fantastic Tart Cherry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RolandD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I accidentally posted this in Beer Recipes, re-posting here to correct that.

5.25 gallons Great Value Apple Juice
1 gallon Old Orchard Tart Cherry Juice
6 tsp Yeast Nutrient
3 tsp Yeast Energizer
1 packet Lavin D-47

Original gravity: 1.051

Pitched yeast dry at 69 degrees

I racked to Secondary after eight days. This recipe made enough that I was able to rack a full six gallons to Secondary and pull a sample for testing and tasting. The SG was 1.002. The highest temp in my brew closet was 72 degree, this went up 74 degrees for two days. I sweetened the sample with simple syrup and the taste was incredible. The cherry flavor was subtle, but bright with just a hint of apple.

After 15 days, I added K-Meta, K-Sorb on the 16th. On the 21st day, I made a simple syrup from 5 cups of Monera sugar and 2.5 cups of the Tart Cherry juice. This made about 7 cups of simple syrup. I used just over 6 cups of syrup to sweeten the 5 gallons as I kegged it. The remaining sugar was just enough to sweeten two 2L bottles of leftover cider. Once carbed, it was extremely good. Unfortunately, I drained the keg before I got any pictures.

I currently have 13 gallons of this that I racked to Secondary, yesterday, after two weeks. This time I used 11 gallons of Nature's Nectar Apple Juice from Aldi's. Samples taste the same as the first batch. SG 1.004. Temperatures were higher, with the Primary going up to 77 degrees. This is one that I'll always have a keg of, on hand.

Back