RODI for skeeter pee ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twintrades

Reaction score
Hey there i have well water for my source water. Its not the best and has to be softend and ran thru a nutralizer.....

We have reef tanks so could i use rodi water for my skeeterpee ? Or should it just be ro water ?

I want to make some tonight..... help asap !

Unless your water just plain tastes bad, by the time it is softened and neutralized, I wouldn't think the chemistry would be bad for Skeeter Pee. If it does not taste bad, I would try cutting it 50-50 with your softened and neutralized tap water. Otherwise, I would go to the store and buy bottled drinking water, not spring water.

My worry about using plain Reverse Osmosis and/or De-Ionized water is the lack of minerals to buffer the pH. The pH of Skeeter Pee is already pretty low is one of the problems that makes it a tough ferment. I know there are items you can add to help keep the pH down but I am not much of a water guru.

Worst case, the cost of Skeeter Pee is pretty low compared to some other beverages. Go for it and if what you get isn't quite right, you can play with your water more next time.

Perhaps some others can share their thoughts on water and water treatment for Skeeter Pee.

Well i had a brain fart. I looked at my rodi unit down stairs and thought why dont i just unplug the di part and ave plain ol ro water ?? Durrr

Anywho im on the same wavelength as you. But my water has "campground taste" So im not shure it would be good enuf for skeeter pee. ( water if un-treated it will turn orange here)

Ill just stick to ro water. And yea only $15 if it doesn't work out. Next time ill get some spring water from a local spring. ( free pure water ! )

You will be fine with RO water, just make sure that water has not gone thru a softener. The softening process just produces a water that is not the best for fermentation...it takes away things and afds other things. Many wineries have RO units these days. Enjoy the Skeeter Per, you will be hooked.

all the water in the house has to passs thru the softener. Otherwise id have to buy new ro membranes every other day.

In the original post it says the water is both softened and neutralized. A neutralizer adds minerals such as calcium and magnesium back to the water. The sodium content may be a bit high, but I expect that the water would have a light mineral content that wouldn't be completely devoid of the minerals for a good fermentation.

Back