Alkaline filter for soda water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aze

Reaction score
So my new RO came with an alkaline cartridge for Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium. I use RO for my reef aquarium, brewing, ice machine and soda water maker (corny with CO2 reactor lid, works incredibly well). The alk filter is a no go for the aquarium top off and the ice maker but made me curious about using it with the soda keg. Would it give me a more mineral water quality ? Something like the fancy stuff ? Would it aid carbonation ? I have heard folks speak of adding salts to their soda water for that purpose.

Are you talking about club soda (i.e. a cocktail mixer) or are you talking about flavored soft drinks? If the latter, if you want to add salts, I'd recommend adding salts directly, i.e. salts that don't change pH. If I'm not mistaken, soft drink pH should be in the neighborhood of 3.0, i.e. pretty low. Adding minerals with a filter that also raises pH doesn't sound like a great idea, IMO.

Well, carbonating your RO water will depress its pH somewhat and the alkalizing addition would help counter that. But since most beverages rely on acidity to provide a pleasant taste character and perception, I'm not sure that you'd be happy with the result. But maybe the resulting mineral water would still be desirable?? It's worth a try.

Are you talking about club soda (i.e. a cocktail mixer) or are you talking about flavored soft drinks? If the latter, if you want to add salts, I'd recommend adding salts directly, i.e. salts that don't change pH. If I'm not mistaken, soft drink pH should be in the neighborhood of 3.0, i.e. pretty low. Adding minerals with a filter that also raises pH doesn't sound like a great idea, IMO.
I mainly drink plain soda water, but I have flavored syrups for the kids to make soda. Occasionally I put a splash in a cocktail.

On one hand I have no control over what salts are in this filter, on the other hand it claims to be specifically for adding minerals to make drinking water more palatable.

Last edited:
I am thinking of doing the exact same thing. I have plain RO water piped into a keg through one of the Kegland continuous float-valve lids, and it's been working great, but it would be nice to get a little more flavor in the sparkling water without having to manually add salts.

This filter has some numbers on the mineral contents it provides - not as high as commercial mineral waters but should improve the taste somewhat vs. plain RO.

Latest posts

Back