Rock Salt & Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I currently use Jamil's whirlpool chiller and it is fantastic. I'm thinking about using rock salt to cool it even quicker. Any short term or long term effects of running salt through the pumps and copper immersion chiller??? David

What makes you believe it will help cool things any quicker? The rock salt will just alter the water's freezing and boiling points. 50 degree water will cool with the same effectiveness and speed as 50 degree water containing salt. If you want to speed things up, you need to use water with a cooler temperature.

downwardzspiral said:
What makes you believe it will help cool things any quicker? The rock salt will just alter the water's freezing and boiling points. 50 degree water will cool with the same effectiveness and speed as 50 degree water containing salt. If you want to speed things up, you need to use water with a cooler temperature.

Or add salt and ICE to it. I've done that before. I'm guessing that's what he meant.

Sorry. Should have been more specific. I am pumping ice water from a cooler containing ice & water thru the chiller and back to the cooler. Adding rock salt will lower the freezing point of the water thus allowing you to pump colder water thru the chiller. My question is whether the salt will cause any long/short term damage to the pumps and the chiller.

take it the next step and keep a tub of propylene glycol in the freezer and run that through
:)

Any short term or long term effects of running salt through the pumps and copper immersion chiller??? David

Yes, the brine solution will cool the wort more quickly...if it is worth the several minutes saved is up to you...I vote No...any time savings is negated by rinsing all your equipment to be salt free.

Also any potential leaks could spoil a batch...if using fresh water, cross contamination isn't good, but likely the beer is still drinkable...

I did this with mine one batch....same as my usual routine, only I put rock salt in with the ice. Maybe it went faster; I don't know, but I decided it wasn't worth the cost of the salt and the having to remember to put it in. I'm very KISS.

So the initial water temp will be a bit lower, but as you recirculate it and the warmed up water returns, it will warm above 32 fairly quickly. Just add more ice. I wouldn't risk the pump

take it the next step and keep a tub of propylene glycol in the freezer and run that through
:)

The heat capacity of ethylene glycol is lower than water, actually. Link.

In the case of ice, it's the phase change that has the most potential for absorbing heat. This doesn't happen with ethylene glycol (unless you use a weak solution).

MC

My comment was tongue in cheek, but you can chill it colder than water in a deep freezer (say -20F) and run it through instead of 32 degree water.

Salt is an electrolyte. It will cause galvanic reaction between dis-similar metals. If the pump parts exposed to it are metal other than copper, they will corrode. This may not be a problem in the short time that it is in use if thoroughly rinsed after. It will help if you rinse with very hot water to dissolve any remaining salt. You could also incorporate a sacrificial zinc into the system, which would corrode in favor of other metals. But that might cause grit. Also, salt is coarse. If not completely dissolved, or if any crystalizes in your system, it will damage your pump.

Latest posts

Back