Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essau1969

Reaction score
I have a Brewers Best Robust Porter kit and I want to add a 1 or 2lbs of extra dme to the recipe to bring the abv to about 6.5 instead of the 5 to 5 1/2% that it is. Should o use dark dme or can I use the light dme ? I plugged the numbers into Qbew but I unsure if dark dme would be better to use than light dme.

The only difference that I could see would be in the final color of your beer. The fact that you are brewing a porter and it is inherently a dark beer, the choice of DME is moot. Don't forget that the added DME will affect the balance of your final product (maltiness vs. hop bitterness). With the added DME you will probably need to add some hops during your boil to account for the additional malt in the recipe. Look at your recipe in Qbrew and compare it against the style guidelines (OG, IBU's, SRM) to see if you are within the ranges.

The only difference that I could see would be in the final color of your beer. The fact that you are brewing a porter and it is inherently a dark beer, the choice of DME is moot. Don't forget that the added DME will affect the balance of your final product (maltiness vs. hop bitterness). With the added DME you will probably need to add some hops during your boil to account for the additional malt in the recipe. Look at your recipe in Qbrew and compare it against the style guidelines (OG, IBU's, SRM) to see if you are within the ranges.
This and the maltiness, adjust the hops so it's not too malty. Unless that is what you like.

Back