Robust Peanut Butter Chocolate Milk Stout Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KobiGirreven

Reaction score
Sorry, this is actually for a Robust Porter. Can't figure out how to change the title :S

Please tear my recipe apart, and tell me why i'm stupid:

Boil additions based on 5 gallons

63% 2 row
12.6% Carapils
6.3% Malted Oats
5.5% Crystal 80l
3.1% Chocolate
3.1% Black Patent

1lb Lactose Sugar

1oz @60 Bullion
1oz @20 Willamette
1lb Chocolate Peanut Butter Powder (PB2) @ 10 minutes

2 Pkgs S-04

1/2-1lb Chocolate Peanut Butter Powder (PB2) in Secondary (to taste)

edit: recipe sounds good for a porter. I'd probably ditch the lactose, and mash higher, but that's me. I also think the carapils % is too high.

Hey, just click report post and then tell the mod the title that you want. Then that will be fixed.

That looks pretty yummy. I'll PM you my address. Let me know when you can ship some. :D I just served a robust porter at a wedding on Saturday. It was popular. I live in BFE and didn't have everything on hand but subbed in some midnight wheat instead of black patent. That is a really awesome malt. I'm not a huge fan of malty but this was a great beer. With the lactose and PB it should be good. I think the worst case is that it would be "too complex." But I've had a few beers who knows? When are you brewing?

Good feedback.

The recipe is a little to crazy for my taste, but i'm looking for a bit of a complex combination of roast/sweet/biscuit/coffee/peanut butter/chocolate. Probably going to cut the carapils to 1lb. I am expecting the PB/Choco to be very up front. Looking for a full body/roasty/biscuity flavor to transition to the finish. I had considered Brown Malt but it's already pretty involved.

Brewing this saturday with a friend

one concern is that with the lactose, final gravity is 1.026 according to Beersmith and BrewersFriend. Seems awfully sweet. Thinking about dropping the lactose to half a pound to hit 1.022. Then when you add any sweetness from the PB2 powder it will probably taste a bit sweeter. Any input?

Back