Roasting in a SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it still a SMaSH if you roast?

• Roasting is acceptable in a SMaSH

• It is no longer a SMaSH if you roast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ølbart;1245123 said:
We should introduce a new term for the roasted and single hopped beer, RaSH. Sounds delicious.

hehe....yeah, good one! Anyone want to taste my RaSH? Think that will catch on? :)

Damn Evan, you’re a tough debater. I have to watch my choice of words closer. :D

What I meant to say was that you not only have to start with one malt type, but also qualified that with it having to come from the same maltster.

+1 On this. I don't even try to disagree with him! :D

But I will since this doesn't really matter. My HB Club had a smash competition. I won on my SMaSH. I did a pale malt & summit hops. The recipe was for 5 gallons, 10# of pale malt and 4oz of summit. I took 1/2# out of the bag roasted it for 10 minutes at 350F. Then after two weeks mashed it up.

This beer was awesome. The Summit made it taste like tangerine with a little toastiness.

This is no different than mashing and let it sour. Its no different than smoking the grain or the hops. Its still one malt and one hop when you bought it from the LHBS.

My HB Club was on the fence about this. It was 50/50 split in disagreement. The winner only gets bragging rights. In fact I think some where jealous, one that they didn't think about it, two they didn't find an awesome hop to make a SMaSH.

Back