Roadtrip!! - Richmond area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so as long a no major changes occur in the next couple weeks, my wife and I are panning a trip to the Richmond area to tour some breweries and whatnot. Its about a 4 hour roadtrip for us so not to bad at all. The veil is on my list to visit as well as several other but I am curious for some suggestion on any place that we should definitely visit and any that may be a spot to avoid. Not familiar with Richmond at all so any input would be greatly appreciated including non beer related info.

Hey everyone, so as long a no major changes occur in the next couple weeks, my wife and I are panning a trip to the Richmond area to tour some breweries and whatnot. Its about a 4 hour roadtrip for us so not to bad at all. The veil is on my list to visit as well as several other but I am curious for some suggestion on any place that we should definitely visit and any that may be a spot to avoid. Not familiar with Richmond at all so any input would be greatly appreciated including non beer related info.
Assuming you mean Richmond, VA, my son is a Virginia Commonwealth grad, and as I recall they had a reasonably nice bar scene. That was about 15 years ago though, so some of the old haunts may no longer exist. I'll see if he can provide any intel.

Awesome! Definitely do the Veil, two locations now. Must go to The Answer & eat next door at Mekong first w/ its great tap list. I highly recommend Triple Crossing, Fulton location is easiest to access. Then go to Final Gravity in the northside, bonus homebrew shop adjoining.

I worked at VCU for three years. Love the city, would be happy to try answering other questions too. Have a great time!

Go to: Starr Hill, Ardent Craft Brews, Legend, Three Notch'd, Final Gravity, Hardywood, Stone Brewing, and Center of the Universe

Avoid: Strangeways

imagejpeg_1.jpg
imagejpeg_0.jpg
imagejpeg_1.jpg
imagejpeg_1.jpg
20210905_101419.jpg
20210905_104622.jpg

Off to a good start, thanks guys for your suggestions, will be hitting several more this afternoon.

Richmond is only a 3 hr drive for me. Might have to run down one weekend. Where did you stay? was It fairly central to all the breweries you went to, or a bit of a drive?

Stayed at the Marriott, it was about a 10 minute ride to Scott's addition, there was a few in walking distance once you are in that area then a couple a little further but nothing we went to was more then 15 to 20 from the hotel. Definitely worth the trip, there may be other places to stay closer but we are Marriott members and used uber or Lyft so we didn't have to worry about drinking and driving.

Stayed at the Marriott, it was about a 10 minute ride to Scott's addition, there was a few in walking distance once you are in that area then a couple a little further but nothing we went to was more then 15 to 20 from the hotel. Definitely worth the trip, there may be other places to stay closer but we are Marriott members and used uber or Lyft so we didn't have to worry about drinking and driving.
Heading here over the fourth. Any feedback on the recommendations you received and your experiences? I have about two days there so won’t be pressed for time. I know the popular destinations but just wanted to check and see what your opinion was on the breweries you visited? I like all styles of beer really so am open and would like to bring some beer back with me lol.

So, the answer was excellent, as was the veil. Ardent was good, final gravity was good. The venue and atmosphere at star hill was awesome. There's a British pub called penny lane that we really enjoyed. As far as bringing beers back I wish we would have brought more back from the answer and the veil. Almost every brewery there had a nice selection of styles, we even had a style that I'm not typically fond of and ended up bring a bottle home. It's a great area for beer lovers, you wont be disappointed.

Heading here over the fourth. Any feedback on the recommendations you received and your experiences? I have about two days there so won’t be pressed for time. I know the popular destinations but just wanted to check and see what your opinion was on the breweries you visited? I like all styles of beer really so am open and would like to bring some beer back with me lol.
You can't go wrong just going to Scotts Addition and walking all around there to the different breweries. In addition to the ones previously mentioned on this thread, Vasen is pretty good. The Veil also has a secondary (and larger) location on the other side of the river. There is also a decent Meadery (Black Heath) that I recommend and when you need something to soak up all of the beer "Don't Look Back - Triple" has excellent tacos. I believe Hardywood is having a 4th of July party with bands and fireworks (ticketed event) as well.

Back