Road trip from Austin to DC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
Alright everyone I'm planning a road trip from Austin Texas to Washington DC. Anyone know of any good micro/craft breweries on the way. Please let me know.

Alright everyone I'm planning a road trip from Austin Texas to Washington DC. Anyone know of any good micro/craft breweries on the way. Please let me know.
Planned route would help a bunch.............

We are planning on going through Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, and the way Google maps shows a very small piece of West Virginia.

On the way back it will be Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Northern Part of Louisiana.

We are not planning on stopping at any of the Texas breweries unless it's just something crazy. We are talking about heading into Pennsylvania field for a day to go to the Yuengling Brewery though.

On our way back from Arlington we drove south to I-10 and stopped in Louisiana near NOLA at Abitta's.

Stone's Throw in Little Rock. It's a nano-brewery and tap room but it's got a good vibe and delicious beer.

We are planning on going through Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, and the way Google maps shows a very small piece of West Virginia.

On the way back it will be Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Northern Part of Louisiana.

We are not planning on stopping at any of the Texas breweries unless it's just something crazy. We are talking about heading into Pennsylvania field for a day to go to the Yuengling Brewery though.

I'd recommend Troegs in PA. It's near Hershey, PA. You're probably going be pretty close.

Haven't made it up there yet, but Troegs is great.

There's a brewery in just about every town going up 81 Virginia through the Shenandoah, not too mention amazing scenery. I'm a fan of Devil's Backbone in Lexington, they've got a great Schwarzbier. Haven't been to too many places around DC, but Port City is across the river in Alexandria and has some good beers.

Within an hour of DC there's Flying Dog up in Frederick, MD and Heavy Seas just outside Baltimore. Flying Dog's blood orange IPA is delicious.

Why would anyone want to go to DC?

Actually a great town to visit.

If nothing else, the Smithsonian Air and Space plus the Dulles annex are a requirement for anyone with the slightest interest in Aviation.

Every possible museum related interest has an outlet.

Other historical points of interest everywhere.

Every roadtrip needs a destination....OK, not every.

The yeungling tour is really awesome but your looking at 3 and a half hours up and back.

Thats OK though Maryland has a lot of good small breweries that you can get to. DC has a few good ones but the Maryland brewing scene is getting better. Up north in Frederick you have flying dog and brewers art and brewers alley. In bladensburg you have franklins which is a brewpub/restaurant/bottle shop/toy store. Really you gotta check that out. Baltimore you have heavy seas and a few others. Down in southern Maryland you have a bunch of newer breweries and brew pubs popping up such as scorpion brewing, the ruddy duck, calvert brewing company and mully's.

DC wise I've never been but blue jacket has been rated as one of the best breweries in america in some recent articles and then you have DC brau I've had their IPA not really my style

Not a brewery, but a nice dive bar in Roanoke - great burgers and bottled beer selection -
Jack Brown's Beer & Burger Joint
210 Market Street Southeast
Roanoke, VA 24011

Drove from Tucson to Columbia MD last week (new job in MD, staying in Columbia till closing on the house in Eldersburg), and my last overnight stop was in Roanoke. In Memphis, a friend took me to:

Flying Saucer Draught Emporium
130 Peabody Place
Memphis, TN 38103

That place was really neat.

Richmond, Va has several awesome breweries:
Ardent
Triple Crossing Brewing
Hardywood
Isley
Lickinghole Creek
Center of the Universe
Legend's (more historical than anything they have been around 20+ years, I don't think their beers are that great)

Up in Stanton is Red Beard Brewing
Blue Mountain in Afton
Star Hill in Charlotsville
3 Brothers Brewing in Harrisonburg
Aleworks down in Williamsburg

Also not breweries yet, but amazing beer selections in Richmond
Mekong (consistently rated one of the best in the country and is currently the best in the state)
The Answer Brewpub (owned by the beer guy in Mekong, actually on the back side of Mekong. You could do a twofer in one stop but be sure to have a driver afterwards haha)

The Virginia Craft Beer scene is literally exploding right now, with about one new brewery opening every quarter. I know of three new ones that are literally within 5 mins of each other all getting ready to open.

Old Bust Head Brewery in Warrenton, VA is one of my favorites right now. They have an enormous tap room and great beer.

Hell, I might even meet ya there with a 6 pack of homebrew.

coming up I81, stop at

Parkway Brewing in Salem, VA and have their Get Bent IPA

Devils Backbone Outpost in Lexington for their Schwartz Bier

3 Brothers in Harrisonburg and the Hoptimization IPA

if you get out to Loudoun County, try Lost Rhino or Old Ox, both in Ashburn, Crooked Run in Leesburg

Mad Fox in Falls Church. Port City in Alexandria. DC Brau in DC.

Thanks everyone the wife and I are really planning just driving the east coast DC is just a main point I would like to go to. It's kinda like our honeymoon we never got to take one due to deployments. I'll take a look at the map and see the actual route I will be taking and give more info. I've also add Dogfish Head to my one of my stops as well. I've always admired Sam Calagione brewing methods.

Thanks everyone the wife and I are really planning just driving the east coast DC is just a main point I would like to go to. It's kinda like our honeymoon we never got to take one due to deployments. I'll take a look at the map and see the actual route I will be taking and give more info. I've also add Dogfish Head to my one of my stops as well. I've always admired Sam Calagione brewing methods.

Hey a honeymoon trip sounds great. Let me know when and if for certain if you will be planning to stop at a place in Baltimore. I will contact them and see if I can pay in advance and buy you two a beer.

Thank you for serving,
sfish

I don't know about breweries, but if you like Cajun food I would recommend stopping at Prejeans in Lafayette, LA.

Hey a honeymoon trip sounds great. Let me know when and if for certain if you will be planning to stop at a place in Baltimore. I will contact them and see if I can pay in advance and buy you two a beer.

Thank you for serving,
sfish

You are my new favorite person. What an amazingly awesome gesture.

And I agree 100% .. Thank you for serving!

You are my new favorite person. What an amazingly awesome gesture.

And I agree 100% .. Thank you for serving!

Do not know if it is true.... but buy I say the Honeymooners beer ...

Well I once heard that long ago before hops they could not ship beer from town to town because it would spoil. Hops being a good preservative enabled commerse to happen. So small villagers would be making beer and it would stay local.

Now when the was a marrage the brewer would make a special batch using honey we all know as mead. As a gift he would give pitcher of the honey mead to the newlyweds for then to drink each night before going to bed for a month.

They measured time then by the moon phases and would call it from moon to moon. So the couple would enjoy honey mead for a moon phase and the word honeymoon began.

Actually a great town to visit.

If nothing else, the Smithsonian Air and Space plus the Dulles annex are a requirement for anyone with the slightest interest in Aviation.

Every possible museum related interest has an outlet.

Other historical points of interest everywhere.

Every roadtrip needs a destination....OK, not every.

I'm from NoVa, about 15-20 miles outside of DC, and the DMV (DC,Maryland,VA) area is a great place to visit. I can't stand living here but if I had never been here before there's a ton to do.

There's about 15+ breweries you could hit up just going through NoVa. There's also a handful in DC and just outside of the city.

Thanks again everyone... sfish we'll be there the week of April 20th - 26th

I would like to buy you two a beer.
Please pm me. I will send you a prepaid card.

I Thank You for Serving Our Country

Thank you sfish check your pm I just sent you the info. We really appreciate it. We plan on using this feed as kinda like a photo album for the trip. We both are big beer lovers.

Sounds like an awesome trip - I'm jealous!

There have been lots of good suggestions about the DC area, and I'm sure you have your route planned out by now, but there's a ton going on in VA and I figured a little bit of extra info couldn't hurt. A few months back the 100th brewery opened in the state, so you have lots of options. I'll PM you with more details if you want, but first off check out www.vabeertrail.net

They have every brewery in the state cataloged, plus restaurants with good beer lists and bottle shops.

This is sorta random, but here are the breweries in the state that I know are making good beer because I've either been to their brewery or consumed lots of their beer. This is just the tip of the iceberg though and I know I'm leaving a ton of good spots off of the list.

Western VA:
Devil's Backbone
Star Hill
Champion
Three Notch'd
Three Brothers

Richmond Area:
Lickinghole Creek
Hardywood
Strangeways
Isley
Ardent
Center of the Universe

Loudoun County:
Adroit Theory
Old Ox
Lost Rhino
Crooked Run
Belly Love
Old 690
Corcoran
Quattro Goomba's (opening tomorrow!)
Ocelot (might be open by the time you make it up here?)

Of course DC has their own stuff going on and Maryland is another bag of fun. You've got lots of tough decisions to make!

Latest posts

Back