RO Water Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuzco_Brew

Reaction score
I have just acquired a RO filter, so I can now brew with filtered water. The system I have does not come with a water storage tank. My idea is to prepare the water a day in advance (or night before) brew day. Is it ok to store this water in barrel likes these ones? Blue Barrel. Or in a stainless steel tank? Using the HLT/MLT to store the water isn't really an option as I often brew multiple times on brew day, so the HLT and MLT will still be in use when I need to start getting the water ready for the next brew.

The reason I ask is I remember hearing a podcast on the brewing network where someone mentioned that RO water could leach stuff out of the vessel it was stored in. However I can't find it at the moment. Is this even correct?

Thanks in advance
Zac

As long as its rated for potable water the barrels should be fine. You could also get a plastic safety float for a water softner salt tank and rig it up inside the barrel. That way when the barrel fills up it will automatically shut off the water so you dont have to babysit it. I wouldnt be worried about the water leaching stuff out of the plastic, r/o water possible can strip minerals from certain metals because the r/o process strips pretty much all the minerals out of the water.

Back