Risks using amylase enzyme ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seilenos

Reaction score
I have a Dry Irish Stout (OG 1.045, S-04) that is finishing about 7 points higher than I expected.
I was shooting for 1.012 but has settled into 1.019 (or close to it as I monitor with a iSpindel).

I've tried bumping the temperature up to 68F and rousing the yeast but haven't really gotten any more fermentation of note.

I have some amylase enzyme and I was wondering if there are any downside in using it?

That is:

If I put in a tsp and it does nothing, then I'm right where I am now.
If I put in a tsp in and it allows the yeast to chew down to 1.012 I would cold crash to stop fermentation.
Are there other probable outcomes where adding it would ruin the batch or negatively impact flavor?

thanks.

I don't use post-mash enzymes, so I can't help there. But before I messed with anything, I'd get a regular hydrometer reading to verify what the iSpindel is telling you.

I have a Dry Irish Stout (OG 1.045, S-04) that is finishing about 7 points higher than I expected.
I was shooting for 1.012 but has settled into 1.019 (or close to it as I monitor with a iSpindel).

I've tried bumping the temperature up to 68F and rousing the yeast but haven't really gotten any more fermentation of note.

I have some amylase enzyme and I was wondering if there are any downside in using it?

That is:

If I put in a tsp and it does nothing, then I'm right where I am now.
If I put in a tsp in and it allows the yeast to chew down to 1.012 I would cold crash to stop fermentation.
Are there other probable outcomes where adding it would ruin the batch or negatively impact flavor?

thanks.

A dry irish stout should have good attenuation, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

This might be counterproductive. You might end up with the remaining long sugars, that don't taste very sweet, being converted into shorter sugars, which taste much sweeter than the longer ones. Even if the yeast now eats them partially, your beer might taste sweeter on the one hand, while having lost it's body on the other hand.

Also, you cannot stop the enzyme or the fermentation of the yeast completely. You can cold crash and drink it in a short amount of time, or you will end up with the remaining sugars being fermentable and metabolized by the yeast on the long run.

I added some to a RIS of mine and ended up at 15.5% adding another 3%abv. Resulting beer was far too dry and have never bothered to bottle it. I would be more inclined to brew another beer and blend it

Thanks for the responses… I think I'm just going to let it go and not mess with it.

I’ve used amylase enzyme post fermentation and it turned out OK. If you want to try it, go get one of those PET half gallon Snapple bottles and draw off some wort/beer for a test. They make great mini-carboys for tests and even accept stoppers.

Another thing I’ve done is use another different offsetting yeast strain to get things to finish off. Your flavor profile is more or less established at this point. Introducing some newer, healthier, hungrier yeast strangers to the carboy can do wonders.

Go rummage through your yeast hoard and toss in a pint of slurry from some different previous batch and let her rip. Pooped out S-04? Toss in some US-05 for example. I tossed in some Hornindal Kviek one time and fermentation picked right up and took it down a bunch.

Last edited:
Your flavor profile is more or less established at this point. Introducing some newer, healthier, hungrier yeast strangers to the carboy can do wonders.
After checking the accuracy of the iSpindel with a hydrometer, I would also check the accuracy of you mash tun thermometer or temp probes to verify you mashed at the temp you thought. I'd hit it with more yeast with a clean flavor profile like US-05 to try and finish it off.

Latest posts

Back