RIS'ing up an Imperial Stout Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acoma

Reaction score
One of my favorite brews is Stones RIS and I cant wait until Apr 18 for its next release. I am about to brew a full extract Imperial Stout from MidwestSupplies. I was wondering what the major differences are between a RIS and regular Imperial stout. I read on the BJCP style guide on RIS and it does list dark fruit flavors, such as, plums, raisins, and prunes.

I was wondering what I can do to this kit to make it more similar to Stone's RIS. Here is what is listed in the kit:

6 lb. Dark liquid malt extract
6 lb. Amber liquid malt extract
8 oz. Chocolate Malt, 4 oz. Caramel 120L
8 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains
3 oz. Glacier
1 oz. Willamette pellet hops

While I understand Stone's RIS is much more complex it would be nice to gain any kind of resemblence. I was thinking of adding some fruits to the secondary. The kit states to leave in secondary for 9-12 months. Wondering what you guys add if anything and how long would you add it for?

I tried searching but didnt come up with something specific. Thanks for any insight.

RIS(Russian imperial stout) is the same thing as imperial stout.

RIS(Russian imperial stout) is the same thing as imperial stout.

Thanks for the clarification. Has anyone out there added plums or raisins or anything else to a secondary of an Imperial Stout and if so how did it turn out?

I added molasses and vanilla beans to mine in secondary and it turned out fantastic.

I used about a quarter pound of molasses and 4 vanilla beans.

It took a long time to come together. The first few months it had a super strong licorice flavor. It eventually smoothed out, though, and now a year later it's really excellent. Of course now I only have a few bottles left.

No, I haven't fruited an RIS, and probably wouldn't... rasberries might be nice. However for the fig, plum, date, pitted fruit flavors turn to Special B. I've sadly not had the Stone IS so I don't know exactly what the taste profile is. On that note however 6-8 oz of Special B should help immensely. What I don't know is what type of flavor profiles those extracts are going to have.

I'd run the numbers through some brew software or beercalculus.com.

Schlante,
Phillip

I'm brewing this right now. Smells fantastic, not sure about the finished product though as it's gonna be a while. Personally I don't think I'd like fruit in a stout, but that's a matter of personal preference I suppose.

Well I went ahead and brewed it up yesterday. Everthing went off without a hitch. However, I didnt strain the wort this time. I dont think it will be and issue. When I rack it to the secondary I will be sure to filter it out the best I can.

The kit didnt come with special b. Is that something that is added to the wort or to the fermentor?

Back