Ris stuck ferm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skwieland

Reaction score
Brewed a RIS, OG 1.106, used WLP004, furious action for 3 days as normal (used 1" blowoff into sanitary), two weeks gravity down to 1.048 Moved to secondary because I needed the larger carboy AND get rid of large amount of trub and the thought that this RIS usually needs a lot of time sitting. Now two weeks later no action, still at 1.048. Temp still at 65F. (note: in past have used WLP051 with success and trying a new strain for better flavor)

Recommendations?? Repitch with WLP004? Reptich with WLP090?

Are you measuring your gravity now with a refractometer or a hydrometer? Refracts aren't good after fermentation has started. If that's an accurate gravity reading, your yeast may have just flocced out early due to lack of oxygen or insufficient cell count or some other unknown reason. You may try warming it up a few degrees and swirling your carboy around to get what little yeast you have left back into suspension. Fact is, you racked too early and got rid of a ton of good yeast. I have also had luck in the past boiling up some yeast nutrient with some simple sugar and adding that while warming+resuspending.

I am using hydrometers to measure. I am sure I racked to early! But, I was already a week at 1.048 before I racked. I am already at 9% ABV so maybe I killed the yeast? What would the affects be of repitching another 2000ml starter with nutrient?

At what temp did you mash and what was the grain bill? That's a pretty high FG and re-pitching might help but if you mashed too high there may not be any more ferment ables left

Mash temp 152f. FYI this is the 4th time ive made this. Only deviations were the yeast and the addition of some coffee.

I think I'll repitch using wlp090. That should maintain taste I think.

UPDATE: on 12/1 I made a high gravity starter using WLP090. Now one week later and my gravity has moved from 48 to 40. I am pleased with the slow, but still present, move. I am shooting for 30 before keg conditioning on oak :)

Back