RIS Recipe Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroMile

Reaction score
My next brew is going to be a big (~ 12%) RIS but I'm having a hard time deciding on a recipe. I've done stouts before but never anything this big. There are a lot of recipes out there and the grain bills in particular can vary pretty wildly. Ideally, I'd like something that is roasty and complex but that also takes well to being customized batch to batch with different spices, coffee, etc. Because of mash tun space, I'm planning on using some DME, which I understand isn't a problem.

The recipe below is cobbled together from a bunch of things I've read on HBT and elsewhere, so I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks! :mug:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WY1056
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Est Original Gravity: 1.117
Est Final Gravity: 1.027
IBU: 79.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 55.1 SRM

8.5 lbs Maris Otter (31.8%)
8.5 lbs American 2 row (31.8%)
4 lbs light DME (15%)
2 lbs flaked oats (7.5%)
1.25 lbs chocolate malt (4.7%)
1.25 lbs roasted barley (4.7%)
0.62 lbs black patent malt (2.3%)
0.62 lbs cystal 80L (2.3%)

2 oz. Galena @90 mins
1 oz. Northern Brewer @30 mins
1 oz. Northern Brewer @10 mins

Looks pretty good. The only thing I would consider changing is your addition of flaked oats. Oats add body and mouthfeel but with a beer that high gravity I don't think oats are necessary.

I agree, that's a decent recipe - and I'd also ditch the oats, instead add a pound to the base malt plus a pound of carafoam...

Cheers!

Thanks. The oat addition was there to add body/mouthfeel, but it sounds like y'all are saying it will have plenty of body/mouthfeel without them?

Recipe looks good. I like 1-2% of oats but it's not necessary.

I like long boils on big stouts. We've played with many times but like two hours.

I'm not a fan a fan of 1056 for stouts. I'd much rather use Nottingham. It's a beast at that gravity. If you do use that yeast leave plenty of head space!

Recipe looks good. I like 1-2% of oats but it's not necessary.

I like long boils on big stouts. We've played with many times but like two hours.

I'm not a fan a fan of 1056 for stouts. I'd much rather use Nottingham. It's a beast at that gravity. If you do use that yeast leave plenty of head space!

What about 1056 don't you like? Too clean?

I did this one, using WLP-002. Went from about 1.110 to around 1.028. A lot of malt to chew through and it took a while, but the beer turned out great, especially after bottle-conditioning 6+ months. Fermentation was a beast, make sure you have a blowoff tube, no matter what yeast you use. A beer like that is a huge all-you-can-eat buffet for the yeasties.

You might get a small beer from the second runnings. I made 3 gallons of a nice "bonus" porter that way. Something to enjoy while you're waiting on that RIS. :)

I did this one, using WLP-002. Went from about 1.110 to around 1.028. A lot of malt to chew through and it took a while, but the beer turned out great, especially after bottle-conditioning 6+ months. Fermentation was a beast, make sure you have a blowoff tube, no matter what yeast you use. A beer like that is a huge all-you-can-eat buffet for the yeasties.

You might get a small beer from the second runnings. I made 3 gallons of a nice "bonus" porter that way. Something to enjoy while you're waiting on that RIS. :)

Great tips, thanks!

Do y'all give it a second dose of oxygen after 12-18 hours? I've seen that some do that.

With all the roasted barley and other dark malts what is the point of using any MO? I do all 2R and use BRY 97 for the yeast. Tastes great and ends up around 12.5 ABV. Did my RIS as my 2nd brew and had no concept of using a blow off tube and ended up exploding all over the dining room :( Definitely use a blow off. Enjoy :mug:

Do y'all give it a second dose of oxygen after 12-18 hours? I've seen that some do that.

I've never done it for my stouts which typically are ~110 point OG.
I just make sure I do a healthy pitch aiming for 1 million cells/ml/degree plato minimum, put the 1" ID blow-offs on the fermentors, set the ferm chamber controller for 67°F wort temperature at launch - and put on my crash helmet :D

Cheers!

With all the roasted barley and other dark malts what is the point of using any MO? I do all 2R and use BRY 97 for the yeast. Tastes great and ends up around 12.5 ABV. Did my RIS as my 2nd brew and had no concept of using a blow off tube and ended up exploding all over the dining room :( Definitely use a blow off. Enjoy :mug:

I thought about that. FWIW, the recipe initially used all MO as the base grain.

I've never done it for my stouts which typically are ~110 point OG.
I just make sure I do a healthy pitch aiming for 1 million cells/ml/degree plato minimum, put the 1" ID blow-offs on the fermentors, set the ferm chamber controller for 67°F wort temperature at launch - and put on my crash helmet :D

Cheers!

Haha, thanks. I'm using the Spike CF10 for a 5 gallon batch, so I should have a bunch of headroom. I will be using the blowoff attachment for sure.

For the roasted barley, would y'all use the 300L light roasted barley or the 500L black barley from Briess.

As a reminder, the recipe currently has 1 lb of roasted barley, 1 lb of chocolate, and 8 oz Black patent.

Back