Irish Red Ale Riona Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schreiner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S04 (2 packs)
Yeast Starter
What for?
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Hydrate and pitch, baby!
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
62 until at least 50% attenuation, let temp free rise to ~ 70 to finish
Additional Fermentation
Cold crash when terminal gravity is reached
Tasting Notes
my best beer to date
Ramped up at Red Eye Brewing Company, Wausau WI in 2013 & 2015
Served @ GABF 2015 Pro Am with Red Eye
many medals, including Gold @ 2015 Midwinter Homebrew Competition and Gold @ Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing XVIII.

14 Lb Maris Otter
10 oz Special Roast
10 oz Victory Malt
4 oz Roasted Barley (300L)
4 oz Briess Dark Chocolate malt (420L)

Single infusion mash, no mash out - 152 @ 60 min

Magnum @ 60 min for ~ 22 IBU's

I've played with this beer A LOT. Back in the summer of 2012, the subject of brewing an "irish red" came up at a "beer meeting", and I stated I had never, and never really thought to either. One outspoken friend stated :

"That's impossible! Everyone has brewed a red!"

So I went to work on it. I think I did alright.

I have learned so much on this forum over the years, thought it was time to give back. Cheers!:mug:

red.jpg

gabf.jpg

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a great recipe and will surely give it a shot. What temp is your mash (assuming single infusion...)?

Brewing this up tonight. Should be more than ready for St. Pat's Day! Had a snafu at the LHBS where they were out of Special roast, and there is no substitute for it. Also out of roasted barley! More Beer came to the rescue though. I'll just have to adjust the roasted barley a smidge since the roasted barley MB has is 500L vs 300L.

I love a good Irish Red. And I was interested in using Magnum hops, so this looks like a perfect marriage for me.

How many ounce of Magnum hops did you use?

Thanks for posting.

Magnum is what I group into the clean alpha hop variety. I use it when I just want some bitterness to balance. Honestly, I've used all sorts of different hops to achieve this. Last time I used EKG because the LBHS had some nice high alpha ones. Today I'm using some EKG and a touch of Taurus.

In my recipe I published, I used .8 oz of 14.7% alpha magmum.

Brewed this old, reliable recipe again on Friday, in anticipation of St. Pat's, of course. I subjected this brew to my new basement electric brewing system. Everything went well, so I'm expecting a good result!

I sub'd out the Magnum this time for enough EKG to get up to the desired IBU's and decided to migrate over to liqiud yeast, and choose WLP007.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
Brewed this old, reliable recipe again on Friday, in anticipation of St. Pat's, of course. I subjected this brew to my new basement electric brewing system. Everything went well, so I'm expecting a good result!

I sub'd out the Magnum this time for enough EKG to get up to the desired IBU's and decided to migrate over to liqiud yeast, and choose WLP007.

Thanks for the recipe Schreiner, I’ve brewed this several times now and it’s always a hit. Had no idea what yeast you used originally, so I’ve played with several ( us-05, WLP-004 and WLP-001). So far I think 001 is my favorite.

Thanks for the recipe Schreiner, I’ve brewed this several times now and it’s always a hit. Had no idea what yeast you used originally, so I’ve played with several ( us-05, WLP-004 and WLP-001). So far I think 001 is my favorite.
I thought the yeast was listed... But yes, I've had good success with S-04, fermented in the low to mid 60's. I've been in the mood to use my stir plate, so WLP007 seemed like a good one to try. If you can believe it, my first several versions I used WLP028, the Scottish yeast. From there I was on a quest dry the beer out more. One version in beersmith I actually called, "dry this b***h out"!

I'm glad to hear someone else has picked up and is enjoying this recipe! Cheers!

I want to brew this soon but have a couple questions.

What is the OG?

Out of the yeasts listed which one turned out the best? WLP-001, WLP-007, or US-04?

Also, how long did you age this beer? I made a different Irish red from this site a while back that recommended conditioning for 4 months to reach its peak but I got too anxious and tapped it way too early and definitely could have benefited from some more time

I want to brew this soon but have a couple questions.

What is the OG?

Out of the yeasts listed which one turned out the best? WLP-001, WLP-007, or US-04?

Also, how long did you age this beer? I made a different Irish red from this site a while back that recommended conditioning for 4 months to reach its peak but I got too anxious and tapped it way too early and definitely could have benefited from some more time
1.048 to 1.050, but I'm running 85 to 89% effeciency. Note that my recipe is a 10 gallon batch. Adjust your base malt to reach your desired gravity.

I've had this beer ready to drink in three weeks, with cold crash/ gelatin fining and forced carbonation

had some messages that the recipe details can't all be seen on mobile/ Tapatalk. maybe this will be better:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S04 (2 packs)
Batch Size (Gallons): 10.5
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.012
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
IBU: 22.4
Color:15.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
62 until at least 50% attenuation, let temp free rise to ~ 70 to finish
Additional Fermentation:
Cold crash when terminal gravity is reached