RIMS Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tat2Pompadore

Reaction score
I’ve decided to raise the bar to my system. I’ll be going to a 25 gallon boils. I’ve been looking at the RIMS stuff and hot damned, I’m going that route too. My question is:

With the RIMS, do you circulate only the mash volume and sparge out, as you would with a normal all grain system?
Or do you circulate the full boil volume?

I’ve looked, I have not found the answer yet.

I’ve decided to raise the bar to my system. I’ll be going to a 25 gallon boils. I’ve been looking at the RIMS stuff and hot damned, I’m going that route too. My question is:

With the RIMS, do you circulate only the mash volume and sparge out, as you would with a normal all grain system?
Or do you circulate the full boil volume?

I’ve looked, I have not found the answer yet.
You can do it either way.

If you have the space in your mash tun to add all the water you're gonna need you can certainly do it that way, although I've read that you lose a couple points of efficiency, which probably isn't a big deal but something to know going in.

But I'm a little confused by your wording. Regardless, all options are open, no sparge, fly sparge, batch sparge.

I fly sparge now. If I can go full volume, I would eliminate a 3 vessel system and go to a 2 vessel.

My garage is packed and the next step for me is to insulate my shed to turn into a small brew house. So my thoughts are if RIMS was a full volume method of mashing and collecting wort. I could make a smaller footprint and utilize my small shed better. Thanks for the input Gameface.

I fly sparge now. If I can go full volume, I would eliminate a 3 vessel system and go to a 2 vessel.

My garage is packed and the next step for me is to insulate my shed to turn into a small brew house. So my thoughts are if RIMS was a full volume method of mashing and collecting wort. I could make a smaller footprint and utilize my small shed better. Thanks for the input Gameface.
I'll try to find a link, but @BrunDog has a thread about 2 vessel RIMS brewing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...tomation-software.624198/page-14#post-8274219

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/brundog-50a-erig-no-hlt-for-me.542899/

Saw my name... big fan of 2 vessel brewing meself... You can either no sparge, no-sparge with full volume, cold water sparge, or fly sparge with water heated on the fly. I do the latter, heating my sparge water with my RIMs tube (5500W element).

Latest posts

Back