Riesling grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepyemt

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I was able to harvest enough Riesling grapes that I want to do something with them. Not enough to make a wine, So i was thinking a sour. I was thinking of souring a saison but am looking for suggestions.

use 3711 and sour with roeselare and add to the secondary, they were picked and frozen, so time isn't an issue.

Or pitch the french saison yeast along with lacto and secondary with the grapes. Along the lines of Cascade brewery. Would the peppery flavor stay?

My questions would be brett's effect on the peppery flavor of the 3711?

Thought?:mug:
Appreciate it
Jp

It is tricky to sour a beer fermented with 3711, it's just so attenuative. You can do Brett, and it will turn some of those peppery phenols into funky phenols. If you want acidity, you'll need to mash really hot (160F) to save carbohydrates for the lactic acid bacteria.

I'm a fan of waiting to add fruit until about two months out from bottling, just so much fresher at that stage.

It is tricky to sour a beer fermented with 3711, it's just so attenuative. You can do Brett, and it will turn some of those peppery phenols into funky phenols. If you want acidity, you'll need to mash really hot (160F) to save carbohydrates for the lactic acid bacteria.

I'm a fan of waiting to add fruit until about two months out from bottling, just so much fresher at that stage.

Great points!
I'll definitely mash hot. Would the Brett ruin the flavor of the grapes? Maybe ruin is a strong word, Im hoping for some peppery to compliment the grape flavor. I'm wondering how Brett would play?

I'm leaning towards the way cascade does their sours as of right now. Possibly even Pitch lacto first, allow it to go for a day or 2 then the 3711, or should I look at a different strain?

Appreciate it!
Love the book!

Jp

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Plenty of great sour beers with wine grapes and Brett, I wouldn't worry about it.

3711 is seems to do well in acidic wort. Go for it!

Brewed 8/23/14
9/10/14 Bucket with cascade dregs and oak
3/09/15 added 4.85 lbs of Riesling grapes from the back yard...
3/18/15 big krausen going..

HOw did it turned out?
Any updates?
We are just about to brew a beer with Riesling grapes and we had the exact same idea.
A light French saison profile with Lacto in primary to develop sourness and then add the grapes in secondary 6 months down the road for about 1 month...
WHat do you think?
I'D love the beer to be dry,crisp and sour with riesling aromas...
Thanks

HOw did it turned out?
Any updates?
We are just about to brew a beer with Riesling grapes and we had the exact same idea.
A light French saison profile with Lacto in primary to develop sourness and then add the grapes in secondary 6 months down the road for about 1 month...
WHat do you think?
I'D love the beer to be dry,crisp and sour with riesling aromas...
Thanks

I ended up using Cascade Dregs to sour, It's it is still on the grapes currently but tasting great. I'll be bottling it soon. The peppery flavor didn't last, I'm attributing it to the brett from the cascade dregs. I think you'll love it.

Cascade doesn't add brett to their beers....but, some people have found a tiny bit in them, likely from fruit skins. Likely your case as well, if you didn't do anything to sterilize the grapes.

Back