Richer Stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Harrington

Reaction score
Will a small but equal increase of all the specialty grains in a recipe result in a richer more flavorful beer?

i dont know i think it depends on the grain bill. i usually limit my black patent to only 2 ounces per 5 gallons of stout and i think it makes a difference that i can taste . im afraid 4 ounces could give it a bit of burnt flavor. but if i started at 4 , i would never put 8 ounces in. it would def give a burnt toast flavor imo. increasing the roasted or chocolate malts however i think could also give it more flavor but again depending on how much you start with. i also feel that oats which increase moutfeel add to the over all flavor in a stout.

i dont know i think it depends on the grain bill. i usually limit my black patent to only 2 ounces per 5 gallons of stout and i think it makes a difference that i can taste . im afraid 4 ounces could give it a bit of burnt flavor. but if i started at 4 , i would never put 8 ounces in. it would def give a burnt toast flavor imo. increasing the roasted or chocolate malts however i think could also give it more flavor but again depending on how much you start with. i also feel that oats which increase moutfeel add to the over all flavor in a stout.
I brew 1 gallon recipes, with specialty malt amounts like; chocolate malt 3.2oz, flaked oats 3.2oz, roasted barley 2.4oz, black malt 1.6oz and caramel 120 1.6oz and thought if I increased all five by 10%, there percentages to the whole wouldn't change, but would result in a richer tasting beer.

Back