Rice Hull Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col_klink

Reaction score
Quick question, when you use rice hulls (say when brewing a wheat beer). Do you just mix them in with the grain bill and dump in the MLT with the rest of the grain when you dough in? Or do you keep them seperate and put them in the MLT first before doughing-in?

Thanks in advance
-Klink

Think about it.

If you carefully lay in the rice hulls, then add water and grain a stir to break up the dough balls, the hulls will be mixed in, too.

Just don't run the hulls through your grain mill with the crush. :D

Ive never heard of of milling rice hulls. I thought the point of them is to just be used as a filter so why would you crush them? Im not trying to argue but I was taught to just put them in with your grains at doe in and mix them in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

That's right. I assumed iamw58 was merely being unambiguous and stating explicitly what might seem like common sense for more experienced brewers, but could be an honest mistake for a new brewer.

Wow I totally read that wrong im sorry Ian.

And you were and made a good point. Sorry again for being hypocritical (and posting with out actually reading carefully)!!! To the op what iane58 said!!

Back