Rice hull appreciation thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rice hulls make things much easier.

However, conditioning my grain before milling has produced amazing results with ease of lautering. Water flows through it like nothing. I won't be needing any more rice hulls.

Yeah, just spray some water on the grain before milling.

Use 1-2% by weight, spray it evenly while stirring the grain around with your hand, and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. I use a shallow plastic tub.

To calculate 2%, multiply the pounds of grain by 0.32 to get the ounces of water. It should be around 3 ounces for a 5 gal batch.

Bonus 1: You can mill at a smaller gap (increasing efficiency) and not worry about a stuck sparge since the husk remains much more intact.

Bonus 2: Doing this will also help you find any rocks/metal/unwanted debris in the grain before milling. It happens.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah, just spray some water on the grain before milling.

Use 1-2% by weight, spray it evenly while stirring the grain around with your hand, and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. I use a shallow plastic tub.

To calculate 2%, multiply the pounds of grain by 0.32 to get the ounces of water. It should be around 3 ounces for a 5 gal batch.

Bonus 1: You can more at a smaller gap (increasing efficiency) and not worry about a stuck sparge since the husk remains much more intact.

Bonus 2: Doing this will also help you find any rocks/metal/unwanted debris in the grain before milling. It happens.

Cheers

I’m going to write that down for when I get a mill. Until then, rice hulls are awesome!

I’m with OpenSights. I normally mill at the LHBS (and hence don’t condition), but will remember this technique for future use. Thanks for the tip!

I condition, as well. The only drawback for me is that milling conditioned grain doesn't go as smoothly as with unconditioned grain. BUT, I'm sure this is only detectable because I have a somewhat messed up grain mill.

I can also verify that conditioning made a very big difference for my setup. Cheers

Latest posts

Back