Rhizomes in China.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xier

Reaction score
Having called and asked various distributors with no luck, I am starting to think it to be impossible. Maybe I can go looking for wild hops in Qingdao if such a thing exists here.

So I ask you, kind netizens, do you know of where to find rhizomes or crowns on this side of the Pacific?

There is a thread of HBT fellows that are in Japan. They seems to have difficulties too to get some rhizomes from vendors. I think that they have found a vendor...and they are also swapping rhizomes that they already have. Maybe you should try to contact them. The other solution would be for you to get seeds... altough you will not get an exact clone, at least you would have some fresh hop to brew with.

So, I have managed to find two suppliers:

http://www.4001890001.com/goods-318.html
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36362051192

The first is described as a wild hop strain from northwestern China. I am liking the light colour of the flowers, but wonder how it will do in a brew.

The second is called "Gold" and I am assuming it is Sunshine. Sunshine is not considered much of a brewing hop, so that is where I am left at the moment.

I'll probably order both.

As for the seed idea, that would be great except that I am having the same problem getting whole hops that I am having with rhizomes. Maybe some of those people in the hop breeding thread would be willing to send me some seeds. I'll have to go throw the idea to them. Maybe I could reciprocate by sending wild Chinese seeds; some'd likely go for that.

Does anyone know of varieties that sport such light inflorescences as this picture?

318_P_1335579269622.jpg

Humulus lupulus var lupulus and humulus lupulus var cordifolius are supposed to be present in the wild in Asia.

The second link you sent seems to be a cultivated hop variety from Poland. You should try it, it is probably something in the Golding family.

Humulus lupulus var lupulus and humulus lupulus var cordifolius are supposed to be present in the wild in Asia.

The second link you sent seems to be a cultivated hop variety from Poland. You should try it, it is probably something in the Golding family.

Actually DC, all three species occur native in China.

That is:

H. lupulus
H. yunnanensis
H. japonicus

As for which H. lupulus subspecies are actually present I am not positive, but I'm sure you speak to your local university extension agent if you have similar offices in China.

Back