Revitalized fermentation vs dry hop dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briank

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a bit of a dilema. I'm brewing a DIPA of my own recipe loosely based off Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin'

Anyway, I was moving the carboy downstairs this evening to prepare for bottling and after letting it sit for 1.5 hours, what do you know? I'm seeing a bubble in the airlock every 35-40 seconds. I don't know if I stirred the yeast up a bit in the move, if its because its a little warmer downstairs (71F vs 67F), or a combination of both, but it seems like its fermenting pretty good again.

I'd wait on bottling, but I put in 3 oz of pellet hops 1 week ago. I think I've read around here that people like to dry hop 4-7 days. So if I wait will I ruin my dry hop?

Here's the specific of my fermentation so far:
Boiled 9lbs LME and 1lbs corn sugar and ended up with a OG of 1.077 in 5.5 gallons
Used Whitelabs WLP001. Had very vigorous fermentation after only 12 hours.
10 days later I racked it to my secondary. SG was 1.020 at that time. Taste was excellent, a tad sweeter than I hope it would finish but there was still time.
10 day after that I measured SG at 1.019. There had been no visible signs of fermentation for pretty much the past 12 days. So I pitched the dry hops in.
And 1 week later, here we are.

What do I do? Bottle or wait?

it was done and had CO2 dissolved in it. You added stuff and and moved it, its coming out.
what does your hydrometer say now?

I have had success dry hopping for 10-14 days without any vegetal flavors. Just my experience, can't speak to anyone else's.

My gravity measured 1.020. Still unchanged. I went ahead and bottled.

From the tasting, its a little too sweet and I was underwhelmed by the hop flavor. Didn't taste much more hoppy than the tasting before the dry hopping.

Back