Review possible all grain setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjilek

Reaction score
Hey, so I recently finished my kegerator build, and now my beer demand is greater than my now extract brewing capacity.

Since my birthday is at the end of the month, I think I am going to go all grain. I was hoping I could get a critique from the collective knowledge of this forum on the equipment I am planning on going with. I would like to be able to do 10 gal. batches, even if I don't right away. My current equipment is a 5.5 gal SS tramontina pot, couple better bottles, and my ale pail.
So this is my tentative equipment list.

Pot:http://www.instawares.com/stock-pot-aluminum-50.alsksp008.0.7.htm
-quick specs: aluminum(gasp), 50 quart, 4mm thick.
-I think this would be large enough for 10 gal, or would 60 quart be better?

MLT:

-It is just the regular 60 quart walmart igloo cube.

Burner

-quick specs: typical bayou burner, I've seen a few on here.

Grain Mill:

-Cheap, I'm okay with spending some extra time, vs money on this part.

I am planning on making my own wort cooler, once I have a pot to help figure out my dimensions, and I know I need a braided hose/manifold for the MLT. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or recomendations. Thank you much, I wouldn't have started brewing without this forum.

You can get by with what the budget pushes you to get by with. I personally would go as large a pot and cooler I could afford. I would look into a barley crusher or a Monster Mill if you have some skills for building a hopper. I wish I had saved and bought once. Once I went AG I ended up doing 10 gallon batches most of the time. Why not get the most out of the same amount of time. Just my $.02

You will need a larger pot than 40 quarts for 10 gallon batches since you will likely need to collect 11.5 gallons. The drain hole on the cooler is a little high unless you plan to drill another. I like the Coleman Extreme coolers.

For a 10 gallon batch you *should* be ok with the 50qt pot, but it's going to be pretty close. I use a 30qt for 7 gallon boils and it basically comes all the way up to just below the rim. But I just put some fermcap-s in there and it's fine. I don't even monitor the boil anymore. If you want to be absolutely sure I'd step up the pot size.

The igloo should certainly be big enough. I have the 50qt version which I use for 5-gallon batches, and it's got a ton of space left in there. I am not sure about that version as to how much work will be necessary to get it ready for brewing, but in mine there was a spot at the bottom designed for mounting a spigot already. All I had to do with drill the hole, and assembly the SS braid (I made a loop configuration) and valve connections.

On the mill...well corona is probably OK but you're going to get worn out cranking out grain for a 10 gallon batch. I mean...I definitely wouldn't try to do it on brew day while heating my strike water, which is what I do with my BC for 5 gallon batches.

For the BK, go BIG!!!

Just did a 90 min boil for 10 gallon batch. My 60Q Polarware with fans blowing constantly during the boil, just BARELY got me through. Check the diameter of the pot you plan to purchase and compare it to the diameter of the burner you are looking at. If they're too close, it could make for an unbalanced boil setup.

Most important, remember to have some fun. You'll get what your wallet and heart tell you. Make them work and enjoy yourself!

Thanks for all of the quick replies! I will probably step up to the 60 quart brew kettle. I did not realize how high the spicket on the igloo cube was, I might have to consider the Coleman Extreme. As for the grain mill, I plan on milling the grain before hand. And thanks for the tip on the diameters, these are very helpful. Oh, and I'm not trying to be stingy with the equipment, just trying to keep the budget plausible for the college student budget. Looking for a good mix of quality/cost, aren't we all. Anyways, thanks for the replies and tips.:mug:

Back