Review my wiring diagram (Electric Kiln/Oven)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wamphyrix

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I have been reading many posts on this forum about how to correctly wire SSR relays and other various aspects of PID controls. I am amazed at the technical know how of this community and would like to thank many of you for taking the time to educate those of us less familiar with automated temperature controls.

While this topic is not directly related brewing beer, its not too far off from what many of you implement in your brewing process. If anything this is a simpler topic as all I am really working on is how to set up electronic controls for a set of 240V/4625W heating elements in an electric kiln. This set up will use a Bartlett Genessis LT 3140 controller (Binst), which is specifically made for electric kilns. This controller uses two 12V power inputs supplied by a center tap transformer.

This controller has 3 control outputs as well as a safety circuit that opens and closes at the beginning and end of a firing sequence. I plan to use a pair of MSR in the safety loop as its only going to open and close at the beginning and end of the firing cycle. After much research I found a 50A MSR that seems like it should do the trick, especially since they will open and close with no/minimal load. My only concern is these relays (J115F31CH12VDCS61.5U) seem really cheep ($3.26 ea on digikey), but I can not find any reason why they would not work. The primary control will be done by a pair of Crydom D2450 SSR in order to be sure they stay cool the fan in the diagram will be set up to help dissipate the heat generated by the SSR.

The only other aspect I am not sure about is that I used 6 AWG wire on the primary AC lines in the design as it needs to carry 38.5A. However, I the wire that was originally used in kiln was 12 AWG, but I wanted to take the over engineered approach until I understand why they used the smaller gauge.

I am interested in any feed back on my design and if I overlooked anything that I should consider changing before starting the build.

Thank you and looking forward to your comments.

1606159570462.png

Back