Reverse Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
So i put my gas post on the dip tube side today when kegging a double dry hopped ipa. Smelled awesome! So I snuck a sample a couple hours later and couldnt figure out why little to nothing was coming out. Then it hit me so i swapped the posts and then grabbed my sample. I seem to have lost alot of aroma. Did the co2 going down the diptube and out the serving line carry away my dry hop aroma? Is that even possibly for such a short amount of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did the co2 going down the diptube and out the serving line carry away my dry hop aroma? Is that even possibly for such a short amount of time?

In short, yes, if you were constantly purging the keg. But since it wasn't long term, or purged often, it shouldn't be so bad. Constantly blowing off the hops aroma would change it permanently but a short purge shouldn't affect it too much.

It was like 30-45 seconds.

It was like 30-45 seconds.

Dude, don't worry. Your beer is fine! the amount you lost due to separation transfer is negligent compared to the overall amount generated. Bottle/carb/keg your brew and don't worry. If monks 1000 years ago knew how to make good beer, what's to say you don't!!?

Have you carbonated yet? The aroma will be in the CO2 off gassing in the head. If your not carbed up yet then you won't get the aroma.

Dude, don't worry. Your beer is fine! the amount you lost due to separation transfer is negligent compared to the overall amount generated. Bottle/carb/keg your brew and don't worry. If monks 1000 years ago knew how to make good beer, what's to say you don't!!?

I really dislike when people say this. How do you know it was good? it would probably be crap compared to beers available today.

I really dislike when people say this. How do you know it was good? it would probably be crap compared to beers available today.

He said "Good" not "AMAZING".....

I am with him.

With Today's practices and ingredients, it will be "good" beer, if only because it is fresh, and this guy watches his practices.

"It will be OK" might have been better, but worst case, it will OK beer, and he learned something....HELL! I learned something too.

Back