Reusing Yeast Flop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeazlie

Reaction score
I brewed a stout yesterday and intended to rack to a yeast cake of a barley wine which had been in the primary for about 4 weeks. After putting the BW into a secondary the primary look so groody I could not bring myself to just put the stout on top of it. I swirled up the yeast cake in the little bit of BW in the bottom and put in into a sanitzed mason jar (star san) cleaned and sanatized the carboy (better bottle) and put the stout in and pitched the quart of yeast slurry minus the little bit of trub which had settled out. I thought this would be a pitch and stand back event, and even had the blow off tube ready to go. But this AM nothing going on some 18 hrs after pitching. The yeast for the BW was us 56 or what ever it is called now. I just tossed in a new pack of dry yeast so hopefully all will be OK, but what happened? Should I be more patient--not really one of my virtues. Was my yeast dead or just inebriated?

What was your OG on the barley wine......I think the yeast were just worn down. Is it going yet?

Within a few hours of sprinling a new package of dry yeast in it, it is bubbling away. Was it the new yeast or did the old ones finally awaken?

I took an AG class at my lhbs 2 weeks back and I think I remember hearing somthing about activating the flop with some malt extract or any pure sugar...I was quite buzzed during the class so the extra stuff I learned is a little fuzzy.

Back